cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi I'm looking for a camera for beginners.

Kbonier2007
Contributor

What is the best option? Dslr or mirrorless if I want to shoot videos landscape and animals? Looking at a price range 300-700 max

26 REPLIES 26

stevet1
Authority
Authority

Kbonier2007,

In the DSLR vs. mirrorless discussion. I don't think there is a "best" option. It's more a choice between features you like and features you don't like. There are plenty of people who will tell you that mirrorless is the wave of the future, and if you want to plan for future upgrades and accessories, that's where you should invest your money. I think DSLR will still be around for a while.

Considering your price range, an SL3 might be a good choice in DSLR and an R100 might be a good choice in mirrorless.

Steve Thomas

Thank you. Just trying to figure out where to start

lilacflows_0-1719782783666.png

I'm planning to buy a new camera too. I will look up SL3. I have a Canon Vivix with an internal battery failure. I've started taking it apart to see about replacing it.

JFG
Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi Kbonier2007, 

I recommend the Canon EOS R50 Mirrorless Vlogging Camera (Black) with RF-S18-45mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens, 24.2 MP, 4K Video, Subject Detection & Tracking, Compact, Smartphone connection, Content Creator.  It sells for $699.00 at Amazon.  I have one and love it.  I use mine for street photography, architectural, and wildlife shooting.   I lovev to take it when traveling due to that it's compact and doesn't take much space for the camera body and 3 lenses.  

• Compact, lightweight RF mount camera with a 24.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor and DIGIC X processor.
  • 4K uncropped movie with Dual Pixel CMOS AF II at up to 30 fps oversampled from 6K and Full HD High-frame rate movie at up to 120 fps. Movie for Close-up Demo Mode quickly switches focus when a product is brought close to the camera.
  • Dual Pixel CMOS AF II covering up to 100% x 100% area with 651 AF zones with auto subject detection and tracking of people, animals, and vehicles using deep learning technology
  • Continuous shooting with 12 fps with Electronic First Curtain and 15 fps with Electronic Shutter.
  • Take great shots even in difficult settings with Advanced A+ Assist which offers an expanded array of auto-compatible scenes enabling greater expressive capability in auto mode, and built-in flash for shooting in dark environments or with backlit scenes. 

Check it out, it's worth looking at.

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

Did u buy any other lenses? 

Yes, I purchased a Canon RF-24-105mm f4-7.1 IS STM for Canon Mirrorless RF Mount Cameras, Versatile Zoom range, Compact, Lightweight, Optical Image Stabilization, for Landscape, Portrait & Travel Photos, wildlife/Videos.  I  also have the Mount Adapter EF-EOS R and use it for my EF 70-300 f4-5.6 III and other EF lenses.

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Good luck as there a bunch of options. Re: Amazon, where to go for service? Warranty?

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Amazon is an Official Canon Retailer and you get the full Canon Warranty as well as 30 days from the day of delivery to return it if you're not satisfied or received it damaged, at no charge.  I've purchased an EOS R6MkII, as well as several Canon Lenses and have not had any problems with Amazon.  I also purchased from Canon directly when they have the item in stock.  Either way is good.   If you purchase it from Amazon make sure that it says :  Sold by Amazon and Shipped by Amazon and you'll be just fine.  Best of luck in your decision and purchase. 

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'd recommend an R50 or R10 (minimum) with an RF-S 18-150 to start.

Here's why.  The R100 is the absolute entry level mirrorless.  The R50 costs about $100 more, but the bump in features is well worth your money.

Better native ISO

Double the FPS

Fully articulating LCD vs fixed

Focus Breathing correction

LCD has 55% greater res  

Unlimited video recording vs Limited

Max shutter 1/8000 vs 1/4000

AE bracketing +5EV vs +2EV

Focus Bracketing, Focus Stacking (R50)

Animal Eye Tracking, Vehicle Tracking (R50), (R100) is human only

Anti-Flicker Shooting 

The extra money is worth it.  The RF-S 18-150 is a good entry level walk-around lens that offers ample wide angle coverage, perfect for landscapes and architecture (18mm-35mm), good coverage for video (35mm-50mm), and enough reach for not too distant wildlife up to 150mm.  At some point, the RF 100-400 could be added for additional reach for animals or birds at greater distances.  For even more range a Sigma or Tamron 150-600 c or G2 could be considered.  Of course there are other lens options available, depending on budget.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements