cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on upgrade from EOS Rebel T5i

jkent
Apprentice

I have a Rebel T5i I have used for years but want to upgrade to something with wifi. I have a few nice lenses I would like to continue to use on my new camera. I have a 2 Tamron SP lenses. I use my camera mostly for real estate photography and grandkids. I am a realtor, so I am not the level of photographer as most of you, but i like to dabble. Suggestions on an upgrade with wifi that I can use the lenses I have would be a huge help. 

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You may come across incompatibilities since those are older lenses. I would rent a camera body to see if any incompatibilities arise. Before buying a new body and finding out that your current lenses won't work.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What are you looking to spend?

If your desire is to keep the existing 3rd party lenses, then you'd probably be best off with a Rebel T8i.

Otherwise, I would recommend the new EOS R50.   A kit with both the RF-S 18-45mm and RF-S 55-210mm is around $1,030

Note that while you can get EF to RF adapters, you may have issues with your exising lenses if you choose to go with an R-series camera.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

jkent
Apprentice

Thank you for responding. This helps alot. 

Can you list the full name of the Tamron lenses you own. Incompatibilities can occur between newer EF/ EF-S Mount cameras and older 3rd party lenses. I came across an incompatibility between an older Sigma lens and a new camera body (EOS 90D). I would test 3rd party lenses out first to see if they work correctly. Regardless of the lens mount the camera uses.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

I have a Tamron Di Sp 10-24mm 1:3.5-4.5 and Tamron Di SP 7-300MM f/4-5.6

You may come across incompatibilities since those are older lenses. I would rent a camera body to see if any incompatibilities arise. Before buying a new body and finding out that your current lenses won't work.

-Demetrius

jkent
Apprentice

Good idea, Or if I upgrade what would you suggest I get and get a new wide angel lens?

If your budget allows look into the EOS R50 or EOS R10 with the kit lens. If you want to upgrade your current camera body. Canon offers 2 different kit lens options the RF-S 18-45mm or RF-S 18-150mm. You can also add the RF-S 55-210mm for more reach. Or you can stick with a DSLR camera EF/EF-S Mount. 

-Demetrius

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Given the age of your lenses, I like @RS-EOS (ricky's) suggestion.

Its time for a new camera and lenses.  Here's why.

Typically we might ask what your current camera is not doing for you now?  Older gear has its place and can work.  Body's are usually what come and go.  Its your lenses that should receive the bulk of your photography investment.  They are what you take with you when moving forward.

Your situation is 2 fold.  Your camera and lenses are all EOL, 10+ yrs old.

Keep your existing lenses:

Upgrade from the T5i to the T8i

9 > 45 AF points

Better IOS and DR performance

Enhanced video capability

6MP bump in resolution

**A Better option

Upgrade to the R50 or R10.  Modern camera, modern features, newer lenses.  Better IQ.  The T8i would run you $749.  Ricky's suggestion is a better investment all the way around, and if you sell your old gear, which you could easily do for the ($$$) difference, you've increased the value proposition of your upgrade for virtually the same cost.  You would be giving up about 90mm of focal length 210 vs 300mm, but ask yourself how often you shoot at maximum zoom?  The optical quality, coatings and performance of the newer lenses would be well worth your money and consideration.  The camera itself has better AF, better low light performance, double the fps (7 vs. 15), faster shutter and 2.4/5G, Bluetooth wireless.  Its future proof, and offers a higher return on investment.

Its what I might do if I were in your situation.  Another DSLR will just be a stop gap.  The performance of mirrorless over DSLR is substantial.  I do not believe you will be disappointed if you go this route.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements