cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus accuracy. Best canon camera?

dylan84
Apprentice

I am in the process of switching over from nikon to canon, and are looking for any reviews on focus accuracy (how many shots come out well versus not, and a good photographer taking) between the mark 5d 2 and mark 3. i know the mark 3 has more cross types, though does this make a significant distance?

My other question is would there be any other canon that is not top of the line such as a 6d or other that you would consider for this aspect? If i can save on camera, then more lenses. My focus is fashion, potraits, occasional movement and I shoot with a sigma art 35mm 1.4

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Focus accuracy?  That's one part camera, one part lens, and at least two parts photographer.  At least.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

There are definitely some cameras that focus better than others, also dependant on where cross type points are positioned, and off centre as well, such as the d750 which are primaraly in the centre. This is what i am looking to find out

@dylan84 wrote:

There are definitely some cameras that focus better than others, also dependant on where cross type points are positioned, and off centre as well, such as the d750 which are primaraly in the centre. This is what i am looking to find out

True.  Some cameras focus better than others, particularly at the center point.  You might find this link useful.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/quick_guides.shtml 

Canon cameras are pretty much the same way.  The center point is the most sensitive.  For most of the Rebel consumer models, the center is the only AF point worth using. 

The Canon DSLR lineup has the entry level Rebel Series.  The photo enthusiast cameras have ##D model numbers.  The prosumer an professional cameras have #D model numbers, with the 1D series of cameras being the top of the line.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_EOS7D_AF_Modes_QuickGuide.pdf

Some cameras have AF assist points, and various focus modes.  The EOS 7D Mark II has the most sophisticated AF system out there.  Take a look at the document at the above link.

oh thats very interesting thanks for sending that through. 

The Canon DSLR lineup has the entry level Rebel Series.  The photo enthusiast cameras have ##D model numbers.  The prosumer an professional cameras have #D model numbers, with the 1D series of cameras being the top of the line.

I am assuming that the #d numbers such as the 5d? are mores sophisticated than the ##d therefore af points are also more effective away from centre, and that the mark III is then a step up on the 2 yeh? 

@dylan84 wrote:

oh thats very interesting thanks for sending that through. 

I am assuming that the #d numbers such as the 5d? are mores sophisticated than the ##d therefore af points are also more effective away from centre, and that the mark III is then a step up on the 2 yeh? 

Basically, that's pretty much correct.  Model numbers in order of increasing cost and complexity are: ####D, ###D, ##D, #D, 1D. 

The 7D Mark II is the only #D camera that is not a full frame camera body.  It is the top-of-the-line APS-C camera body..  Many wildlife photographers like it for its' sophisticated AF systems, weather sealing, dual CPUs, high frame rate, and the extra reach of its' image sensor.

The 6D is an entry level, full frame DSLR, with some professional features.  It is pretty much a slightly downgraded 5D Mark II.  However, it does include built-in Wi-Fi and GPS.  It is popular with amatuer enthusiasts like myself.  It has weather sealing that is not as robust as the 7D Series or 5D Series.

The 5D Mark III is the full-frame workhouse of the Canon line up.  It is popular with many professionals outside of a studio, like people who may shoot weddings.  There are currently four 5D cameras on the market.  The Mark III has been superseded by the 30MP Mark IV.  There are also the more specialized 50MP 5Ds cameras.

The 1D Series is the flagship line.  They are noted for having professional sized bodies, and the build quality and feature set to go with it.  The different models give excellent performance, most particularly with image quality and AF performance in recent models.

[EDIT]  With the lone exception of the 6D Series, all of the #D bodies offer dual memory card slots.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If it's between the 5D Mark II and the 5D Mark III then the answer is easy... the 5D Mark III.

In fact... there's a chasm of difference between the two -- it isn't like one is fractionally better than the other... the new system on the Mk III is massively updated.

The 5D II essentially uses the same auto-focus sytem found on older Rebel bodies (it was the system used by the Canon 50D.   That system uses just 9 auto-focus points with the center point being a "cross type" point.  The other 8 points (arranged in a diamond shape pattern around the center point) are single-axis points.

The 5D III's system is modeled after the system in the 1D X.  It has 61 auto-focus points... and 41 of them are 'cross type'.

Additionally the 5D III has many of the focus points that can work with lenses down to f/8 (most cameras can only work down to f/5.6 -- all lenses focus at wide-open and then stop-down momentarily just to take the shot.  But if you've got an f/4 lens and you use a 2x extender then "wide open" is actually f/8 for that lens/extender combination.  A 5D II can't focus with that but the 5D III can.

Additionally, the 5D III has a pile of focus modes... spot focus, expanded spot focus, surround AF, zone AF, and full 61-point AF.

Additionally, the 5D III has behaviors for tracking (when shooting action where your subjects are moving around).  This tells the camera how you expect the subjects to behave (will they primarily be moving in the same direction, will they switch direction erratically, if something gets in the way of your intended subject should it quickly switch to a new subject or should it hold focus at the last distance of the old subject (hoping that whatever got in the way will move out of the way), etc.   This system is actually tuneable.

Canon has a 47 page guide book JUST on the power of the auto-focus system of the 1D X & 5D III.  You can find it here:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/1dx_guidebook.shtml

Since this came out, Canon introduced the 1D X Mark II and the 5D Mark IV -- which make a few additional tweaks to the focus and metering system.  But you asked about the 5D II vs. the 5D III.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks Tcampbell that is very helpful

ScottyP
Authority

If your budget doesn't work with a 5d3, get a 6d rather than a 5d2.  6d has basic autofocus but still has more AF points than the old 5d2.  Also newer better sensor.

None of your stated uses seem to call for the slightly more rugged and slightly more heavily weathersealed 5 series over the 6d. 

I dont know what amount you mean by occasional movement but my 6d had a fine keeper rate for little girls soccer. 

Get as much camera body as you need.  Don't do overkill on the body though if you are starting out with no lenses because glass is more important than bodies in normal shooting.  Spending on body takes away money from buying lenses. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements