cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flying with my Canon R5 and lenses as carry-on

yamenwo
Apprentice

Tomorrow I’m flying from the US to my home country (via Istanbul). . While staying in the US I started doing photography, and really wanted to take my Canon r5 camera and three lenses with me. It never occurred to me that I might experience any troubles, but I just googled is it allowed to bring the camera on a plane in a hand luggage - and found several sources claiming this is prohibited.. . So if you flew anywhere from the US via Istanbul - could you please share your experience https://100001.onl/ ?

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'm not sure what information you're referring to, but you can carry your camera gear onto a plane and fly anywhere with it.  I do know that they don't like you to check batteries in your luggage, but if you bring it with you in a carry-on, no problem.  

I got asked about batteries when we came back from Alaska last year.  The ticket agent asked about batteries when she saw my pack and tripod.  She told me as long as they were with me it was fine but that the airline didn't want any in my suitcase being checked.  I've flown all over the world with my camera gear, no issues.  

It never leaves me.  My suitcase can get lost but I'll be able to take pictures 🤣. My wife and I pack 50/50.  

Sometimes when you show up at security they tell you you have to take all electronics out of your bags.  They always want to see my phone and my laptop but I have never had to remove my camera gear from its bag In a foreign or domestic airport.  Pack your camera and your lenses in a carry-on Enjoy your trip.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

BrighamBB
Enthusiast

Good morning,

I fly with my cameras in both checked luggage--including my R5--and carry on. I sometimes use my Pelican case checked for my full load of gear. I take my camera and lenses in my carry on when I do not want to pay for checking the extra case.

The only issue I have ever encountered with security and my camera was a secondary check of my carry on to examine the lenses and camera body. Completely understandable.

Enjoy your trip and travel safe.

BrighamBB

Peter
Authority
Authority

IATA 2.3a https://www.iata.org/contentassets/6fea26dd84d24b26a7a1fd5788561d6e/dgr-65-en-2.3.a.pdf

No loose batteries in checked luggage.

In carry-on, protect the batteries individually, see the picture below.

batterier-20230812_R6_2413(1).jpg

click here to view the gallery
Announcements