cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashing Shutter Speed or Aperture Values

AllenP
Contributor

Again, I want to thank you for all of your help in answering my questions.  It is really appreciated.

I have a Rebel T6 that I purchased recently.  Occationally, the Aperture or Shutter Speed values will flash in the viewfinder.  I'm assuming it is because I don't have one or more of the exposure triangle items set correctly.  I've looked in the manual and can't find anything to substanciate my suspicion.  Any advice or guidance as to where I can find info on this?

2 REPLIES 2

AllenP
Contributor

HA HA!!!  With more digging I found this on the dummies.com site.  This was exactly what I was suspecting, but I couldn't find it in the documentation.  If anyone has any other comments or suggestions, please let me know.

• Av mode (aperture-priority autoexposure): The shutter speed value blinks to let you know that the camera can’t select a shutter speed that will produce a good exposure at the aperture you selected. Choose a different f-stop or adjust the ISO.
  • Tv mode (shutter-priority autoexposure): The aperture value blinks to tell you that the camera can’t open or stop down the aperture enough to expose the image at your selected shutter speed. Your options are to change the shutter speed or ISO.
  • P mode (programmed autoexposure): In P mode, both the aperture and shutter speed values blink if the camera can’t select a combination that will properly expose the image. Your only recourse is to either adjust the lighting or change the ISO setting.

By observation, it would seem that because the camera allows for AEB, Automatic Exposure Bracketing, over a +/- 3 Ev range, the viewfinder will not start blinking until the exposure exceeds at least +/- 3 Ev.  

In other words, when the viewfinder is blinking at you, then the current exposure settings are WAY off the mark.  

You can still get pretty bad under/over exposures without a blinking icon to warn you, too, but those images can frequently be salvaged with good post processing to some degree.  But, blinking means you are too far into the red zone.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements