cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash Not working Properly?

albe
Apprentice

Hello Forum.  I have an EOS Rebel XS / 1000D.

A couple of  'flash'  issues I need assistance with or perhaps advice. 

1. In Auto mode there are times the flash will open even in bright daylight shooting well lit subjects or scenery.  This has also happened, oddly enough, a few times when I'd be wearing a wearing a ball cap.  Shadow?  Seems overly sensitive.

2. In natural daylight, using creative modes such as "P" the flash button will open the flash but it won't fire when taking the shot.  On the other hand if I move inside a building (lower light condition) and repeat the same process,  the flash will fire when I take the shot.

*My understanding is that if I manually open the flash in creative modes, regardless of lighting conditions, the flash should fire when I take a shot.

TIA for your input.

-al

4 REPLIES 4

hernhombeecaryb
Contributor

Using Auto and Program modes turns control of the flash over to the camera. You don't have much choice. 

Explore Aperture priority setting to begin taking control of your photos.

Please consider studying the documentation so freely supplied supplied by your camera's manufacturer.

The manual which I so freely read, clearly states to put the camera in "P" mode, push the flash button on the camera body and the flash will open and flash will work when taking the shot.

What documentation are you quoting from?

[Mod note - removed link per FORUM GUIDELINES]

XSI Manual can be found on the Canon Website HERE. Once there, go to the bottom of the list and look for "EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi/EOS 450D Instruction Manual." 

@albe wrote:

" push the flash button on the camera body and the flash will open and flash will work when taking the shot."

The flash will work, yes. It will fire if it needs to. The evaluative metering system takes over. Just popping open the flash does not assert a command to fire the flash. Full Auto will open the flash and fire it if the scene is backlit. <P> mode does not automatically open the flash but the flash can (not will)  fire the flash if it is open.

Thanks hernhombeecaryb

I took your advice and read the manaul, again.  I followed the instr on page 116, set the flash to "Enable" then tested both indoors and out and I was able to force the flash in Creative modes, P, AV, etc.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/4/0300004284/01/eosrebelxs-1000d-im2-en.pdf

Thanks again.

Announcements