cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing a T3i Sdcard slot... Worth the bother?

WillowNest
Apprentice

Hey all. I'm a tiny hobbyist & purchased my t3i 9 years ago when my employment justified a purchase. Well.. That's all gone, yknow, phhfft.

So.. this week the Sd card slot decided to borf. It simply doesn't access cards and every card is unreadable. New ones, ones I've used for ages, doesn't matter.

I apologize as I don't know enough to even guess what a fix would cost, but, there's simply no money to even pay someone to give me an estimate. So I thought I would at least ask if it's even worth saving up to fix.

I'll apologize further if this isn't the proper type of post. I'm at a loss with how to get stuff like this fixed.

4 REPLIES 4

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Dig out the user manual and follow the instructions for doing a full camera reset. If you have a lighted magnifier look deep into the card slot and make sure it's free of debris, dust bunnies or flotsam.

From there, if it still isn't responding, try reformatting your SD cards. First, save copies of any irreplaceable image files from your SD cards before reformatting. If you can't reformat in-camera, try first reformatting in a desktop or laptop PC assuming you have available memory card slots or a card reader.

If the camera now recognizes the SD cards you might as well format them again in the camera to put everything as right as possible. There is also a very tiny switch on the door that covers the SD card slot (as well as the battery door) that tells the camera when the door is fully closed. Unless it doesn't, in which case it will not let things work as expected.

Exactly what brand and model and capacity of SD cards are you using? How old or heavily used are they? Are they full sized SD cards or Micro SD cards used with an adapter?

Ray-uk
Whiz

Although 9 years old it is still a very useable camera which can give some decent results, so I would say it is defintely worth repairing, or keeping until you can afford a repair.

Might be worth looking at this old thread:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/Is-there-a-way-to-fix-the-No-Card-in-Camera-problem-on-...

@Ray-uk wrote:

Although 9 years old it is still a very useable camera which can give some decent results, so I would say it is defintely worth repairing, or keeping until you can afford a repair.

Might be worth looking at this old thread:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/Is-there-a-way-to-fix-the-No-Card-in-Camera-problem-on-...

Yes, this camera should still have some useful life left in it. Especially if it can be this easily repaired. And thanks for the link to the earlier thread which I (and probably a lot of newer members here) hadn't seen before.

"... I would say it is defintely worth repairing, ..."

As long as a repair is less than $200 bucks or so.  That is what a good working T3i is worth.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements