cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Mic not working

ItNeverWorks
Apprentice

I have a Eos Rebel T3i 80D, I got an external powered mic (comica V30) and when I plug it in the audio dies. The mic is definitely plugged in all the way, it has external power, I can't figure out the problem. This is the second mic I have tried both had this same issue.

10 REPLIES 10

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

What do mean by “ it has external power”. Isn’t there a internal battery inside the microphone? 

Mike Sowsun

Yes the mic has its own battery power, it's not drawing power from the camera.

Do  you have both a T3i and 80D and they both don’t work? Check each camera sound recording menu. There is an option to disable audio input.  

90EB666A-3081-4036-A66B-4481BA4BBA54.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

When I plug the mic in the dB meter goes to zero and it stays there. Same with it set to automatic as well as manual. No sound registers. Microphone works instantly on my smart phone, can't get it to work on the Canon. There really aren't any options on the menu so it doesnt seem there is anything else I can do?

There May be some kind of compatibility issue with that brand of microphone. I would try another brand to see if the camera actually works. 

Other than that, a call or trip to the Canon Service department may be in order.

Mike Sowsun

Any solution yet?
I have the exact same issue with a mic that i bought today.

One solution: Adapter (three to two connectors).

New microphone might have a plug with three connectors. And your Canon camera might have a jack for two connectors.

In this case, the solution is to buy an adapter.

canon-mic.jpg

ramogr
Apprentice
Hi. Did you find a solution? I have the same problem. Acutally, i filmed before with an external mic and it worked, now i tried and is just merely not working 🤷‍♀️

mrmillmill
Apprentice
Hello I had the same issue with my canon t3i and I am using the PowerDeWise lapel mic. I was fortunate since the lapel mic comes with an adapter which is a 4 to 3 pin adapter. This adapter is needed for plugging in an external mic to the canon t3i.
Announcements