cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Err 02

ccortinas
Apprentice

I was at a track meet on Wednesday and when I turned my Rebel on I saw this error message which said "Card connot be acessed.  Reinsert/change card or format card with camera".

I bought a brand new card and got the same message when inserting it.  When I went to format the card on the camera it said "Cannot format, change card".

I also tried to reformat the original card and it wont let me format that one either.  

Please help! MY son's conference track meet is tomorrow and I am hoping to resolve this issue ASAP. ;(

Cindie

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Look inside the card slot and see if you can see any debris.

Otherwise it needs service.

Which Rebel? Are you using SD cards or CompactFlash?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Push come to shove, you can try to tether the camera to a laptop, so that the images are stored directly to the laptop.  I do not know if it will work without a functioning card.

Make sure that you are using full size cards, not mini-cards with adapters.  Try to tick to using cards with a storage capacity of 32 GB, or less.  Test the integrity of the cards, if you can, by seeing if a laptop can format them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am hoping to resolve this issue ASAP"

Did you accidentally switch the read/write tab?  Check it out.

If your Rebel is one of the older ones that use CF cards (not the smaller SD) make sure that none of the tiny pins in the camera are bent over.  If they are you can use long-nose jewelers pliers to straighten them out.

Remember error 02 means it could be within the camera not just the card.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi,

me too have the same problem and am sure err 02 is not the problem with the DSLR its with the card 

i use San disk extreme pro 128 gb card ...i have tried in 3 cameras 7d mark 2 , 5 d mark 3 and 1dx same problem occurs

".i have tried in 3 cameras..."

So buy a new CF card ! Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@shibunair wrote:

Hi,

me too have the same problem and am sure err 02 is not the problem with the DSLR its with the card 

i use San disk extreme pro 128 gb card ...i have tried in 3 cameras 7d mark 2 , 5 d mark 3 and 1dx same problem occurs

You probably have more SD card than the cameras know how to handle.  Cards that are UHS-II rated are NOT compatible with most Canon DSLRs.  Even UHS-I cards should regarded with a bit skepticism.  

I use UHS-1, Class 10, 32 GB SD cards by Lexar without issue.  I use the UDMA 7, 32 GB CF card by Lexar in the other slot.   I like to keep both slots filled with cards with matching capacities.  Most importantly, though, I format the cards in the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Mr_Fusion
Enthusiast

My guess from the symptoms is there is a connector / connection issue. If the camera was dropped, had a hard knock, or exposed to vibration, it is very possible that there is a wire or other connection that came loose. That would explain why no card will work and why it happened suddenly. Although it may be a card connector in the camera, I doubt that the contact would fail without having the card removed and reinserted.

A second possibility is that moisture has corroded a connection. If this is a Rebel then remember, they are not environmentaly sealed. Moisture and dust can get inside and short something out or cause corrosion.

Try shaking the camera while it is turned on and see if that allows it to work. That may confirm a loose connection but is not a guarantee that that is the problem.

The fix is to have an authorized Canon dealer look at it. If the camera is an older model, beware that the fix may very well be more than the camera's value. Electronic shorts can be extremely difficult to find.

Announcements