cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Remote App, why is the 6D the only decent camera that can use it?

careyrichardson
Apprentice

My wife and I are a team of in studio photographers. I'm am the lighting guy and she it the talented photographer. We use her 6D to connect to the iPad using the connect to smartphone feature and it is AWESOME! I can see serious details and adjust the lights as she works with the clients. I think every photographer should be using this. However, I noticed when looking to upgrade her camera that the 6D is the highest/best model that offers this. Why? This is a feature that should be on all high end cameras. Not every photographer shoots from a tripod and is teathered to a cable to a computer and then maybe to a tv just to see a large real time photo. That seems so old school and backwards to me. So the question is; will the 1 DX Mark II and the 5D Mark IV have wifi and be able to connect to the ipad? If not, what other wireless options do we have for getting a similar system? Seeing the images at such large sizes in high resolution is a huge advantage while shooting. We have saved hours editing in photoshop just from this feature alone. 

2 REPLIES 2

JonKline
Enthusiast

If you want the wifi feature on other high-end cameras, you need to buy the Wireless File Transmitters. WiFi adds cost, weight, and takes battery power, so it's not something that every photographer wants included in their camera.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/pro_cameras_wft

Since you're in the studio, shooting tethered is always an option, too. And some third parties make a "wireless teather" for using the Canon applications by USB>WiFi.

Skirball
Authority

@careyrichardson wrote:

However, I noticed when looking to upgrade her camera that the 6D is the highest/best model that offers this. Why? This is a feature that should be on all high end cameras. . 

In-Camera Wifi is relatively new; the 6D was the first dSLR with it.  They then added it to the 70D.  So they are rolling it out.  The only other high end dSLR released since is the 7d2.  I can only speculate why they didn't include it, but I'd guess that it's because it doesn't really fit into the scope of the 7d2, as a camera geared toward outdoor/action.  Yes, I'm aware of the speculation that WiFi won't work with an all metal chassis, but I don't fully accept that; there are ways around it.  There's also the simple issue of space, though I can't imagine a WiFi unit takes that much space.

If the metal chassis truly does prevent WiFi, then that would explain not putting it in the 5Ds series, and means that it won't be in any 5D/1D iterations.  I was really disappointed it wasn't in the 5Ds, as one of the main times I use it is for architectural work, which is prime territory for the 5Ds.  But as Jon notes above, most people just use the CamRanger for this, so an option exists for those with the need.

Will it be in the next generation 5D4 and 1Dx II?   Who knows outside of Canon.  I would guess that it'll be in the 5d4, as it's certainly a fine studio camera, and as you've noted, WiFi is spectacular for studio use.  But the lack of WiFi in 5Ds makes me question that.  It'd be a shame to not include it, IMHO.

WiFi is still in its infancy, but I hope Canon finally decides to push the technology.  I'm sure you would agree as a lighting/studio photographer.  Imagine being able to control your flash power and zoom from an iPad app while in Live view.  Take photos, review them in real time (Edit in the Lightroom app) and adjust as necessary.  Very powerful.

Announcements