googlepoint
Apprentice

please tell me how to set my camera satting 72dpi to 300dpi

15 REPLIES 15

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"please tell me how to set my camera satting 72dpi to 300dpi"

Here's the real scoop on digital cameras. All cameras capture images at full resolution. This is in the form of a Raw file. Simply ones and zeros. The size or quality of the photo is done when you save it. For instance if you select large jpeg your camera deletes image info that it deems less important. Choosing smaller jpeg formats increases the amount of info that gets trashed. If as I assume form you question, you want the highest or best IQ you need to be using large Raw file. This is all the resolution that is available of course it is a much larger file.

Once you have the photo ready for printing in your editing software, like DPP4, you can set the DPI to 300 or wherever you choose. The 72 DPI you see in the exif file info is merely a place holder and is meaningless.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Mercedes1
Apprentice

I am grateful that you simplified this for me! I am left with a question.... I only now have started to take photos in RAW and I have several that are JPEG and the resolution is 72 dpi. They were saved as 6000 x 4000 (large). So, If I am understanding correctly, before uploading to print, simply set the dpi to 300 or 350 for a better print? I have a canon rebel t8i. I honestly had not noticed till today that this was happening!

@Mercedes1 wrote:

I am grateful that you simplified this for me! I am left with a question.... I only now have started to take photos in RAW and I have several that are JPEG and the resolution is 72 dpi. They were saved as 6000 x 4000 (large). So, If I am understanding correctly, before uploading to print, simply set the dpi to 300 or 350 for a better print? I have a canon rebel t8i. I honestly had not noticed till today that this was happening!

In ancient times, the 72 dpi would be used by software to resize an image for display on a screen or for printing. It is still used in PDF files, so far as I can remember. Changing the DPI usually does not change the image itself and it is usually safe to ignore the DPI number.

If the print service you are using pays attention to the DPI, then you could use the Canon DPP software to set the DPI in the JPG to what ever the print service requires. The print service I have used ignores the DPI number.

DPI/PPI is still very real and used in the graphic design/print industry.

To get optimum printing results, assuming you are using a printer which gives best results at 300ppi - resize the image to the correct dimensions at 300ppi. So if you want a 12" x 8" print at 300ppi, set the image resize dialog to show either 12" x 8" at 300ppi or 3600px x 2400px at 300ppi, both mean the same thing.

Some graphic design software like CorelDraw use this metadata to know what  size you wish an imported/placed image to appear at on the page. If you had a 12" x 8" magazine and imported an image set at the above dimensions/resolution, the image would automatically fill the page. The page itself has a default resolution and would usually be 300ppi. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"DPI/PPI is still very real and used in the graphic design/print industry." and "To get optimum printing results, ..."

Have nothing to do with the OP query, "please tell me how to set my camera satting 72dpi to 300dpi"

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements