cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 Photography beginner needs help with settings

Kimmont89
Apprentice

Hello, im very new to photography and I got this camera as a gift, it's a eos t7. I just need some basics. I have it on "M" manual I guess and my photos come out really bright. How do I adjust the brightness?

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
I am assuming you mean the Canon EOS R7 (there are several different cameras with a 7 in their model name) - please correct me if that is wrong.

As a novice to using a dedicated camera, I strongly suggest you do the following:
If you don't have one, download the Advanced User Guide for the R7: EOS R7 Advanced User Guide PDF and get used to looking things up in it.  You can do word or phrase searches on the PDF version.

You need to learn about how cameras gauge the amount of light (metering) and how to control exposure using the 'holy trinity' of controls: the Shutter, Aperture and ISO.  Using a cell phone is not really similar to using a dedicated camera - they are more complex, but they are also able to offer better images and certainly more control over your photography.  These videos should help you, if you invest the time to view them:

I would encourage you to view the following:

There is also a video on the controls of the R7 specifically

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

He specifically says it's a Rebel T7. 

Best advice is to start in P(rogram) mode and take pictures to see what good/reasonable exposures look like. Reading the Instruction Manual will go a long way toward starting to learn how the camera works. 

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-rebel-t7

Looking for videos on using the T7 may help. Learning about camera settings in general is needed.

Thanks for the correction, I didn't see that T when I read it twice before I responded.
So, with that in mind I would still suggest learning more about photography and the video from Chris Bray is very applicable.  Also, there are many videos on the subject of the T7 controls to work with afterwards.
canon t7 tutorial for beginners - YouTube

Shooting in Auto or P modes will certainly get you going, so no argument there; but you are basically using the camera as a point and shoot, but to get the most from the system, you need to take control as the camera as it's not infallible and can be fooled by various lighting conditions.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Avoid using manual mode when first starting out. Learn to use either Aperture Priority (Av) or Shutter Priority (Tv) modes first. Then after you get the hang of that, try Program (P) mode.

Once you know when to use each of those modes, then explore Manual (M) when it makes sense to do so.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements