cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T6i screen & images started having partial blackout problems

MartyE
Contributor

My Canon EOS Rebel T6i started having partial blackout problems on preview displays that also block out the same area on all images (about 35-40%). I have removed the battery and tried turning on the camera and pressing the shutter button for 10 seconds. I've also tried clearing all camera settings and functions to default. Please advise. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MartyE wrote:

Interesting. Looking at the black piece, it appeared to have straight sides making a long rectangle. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll try taking it in somewhere to see what my options are. How do I contact Canon Support?

I could post the link, but this is how to find it yourself.  Click on the word "Canon" in the top left corner.  This will take you to the Canon Community Home Page.  There is a link to "Canon Support and Service" halfway down the page, on the left side.

Click in the link, and a new tab/window will open in Canon Support. Follow the instructions. Type "Rebel T6i" in the box, and when you see a selection for "EOS Rebel T6I" appear, click on it. 

You should now be at the Canon Product Support Page for the Rebel T6i.  There are links to contact Canon Service at the upper right half of the page.  You can contact them via email or phone.  

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca... 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

IF the images are fine when imported to the computer, it sounds like a bad video card or LCD. Try plugging in an HDMI monitor to see if the same thing happens.

Either way, it needs to be sent to Canon to be fixed.

Unfortunately, the images show the black bar. My spouse and I discovered the problem inside the camera body by selecting "clean the sensor - manually." When the mirror folded back, we saw the black thin plastic "bar" that was out of place causing the problem. We were unable to get this plastic piece rearranged successfully to prevent the blockage on Live View and the image. Is this problem something that can be repaired at a local camera store, or do we need to ship it back to Canon? I am also wondering if I would be better off purchasing a new Canon camera body that can be used with my T6i kit lenses?

If you can seen the entire menus, then you may have a bad shutter.  Can you post a sample image of the issue?  The cost to repair is probably close to the cost of used camera of the same model by the time you take postage into consideration.

Here is a test image once I noticed the problem. Thanks for your input!

IMG_2491.JPG

Yikes!

Yeah, that looks like shattered shutter.  Let a reputable local camera shop look at it.  Bring your cell phone with that sample image stored on it.  The prognosis does not look good.  Canon Support would be the best place to seek advice, though.

Interesting. Looking at the black piece, it appeared to have straight sides making a long rectangle. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll try taking it in somewhere to see what my options are. How do I contact Canon Support?

@MartyE wrote:

I could post the link, but this is how to find it yourself.  Click on the word "Canon" in the top left corner.  This will take you to the Canon Community Home Page.  There is a link to "Canon Support and Service" halfway down the page, on the left side.

Click in the link, and a new tab/window will open in Canon Support. Follow the instructions. Type "Rebel T6i" in the box, and when you see a selection for "EOS Rebel T6I" appear, click on it. 

You should now be at the Canon Product Support Page for the Rebel T6i.  There are links to contact Canon Service at the upper right half of the page.  You can contact them via email or phone.  

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca... 

Thanks so much!

Did you ever find out what was wrong??  I have the same exact thing going on.  My pics look just like yours exactly!

Announcements