cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T6i/750D LCD On, but Black

jfashe
Apprentice

Hello all. I got a Canon EOS Rebel T6i as a gift back in 2016, and it's been working with slight issues since lasw month. The LCD has just gone blank. Even when I press the menu button (not on Live View), I still get a dim, black screen. The camera itself still functions. You can hear the all system sounds, but can not see anything on at all. I've been working with phones for a couple years now, so my first instinct (when I had the time) was to order a replacement LCD, because I thought it was an issue with the whole LCD assembly itself, causing the LCD backlight to stay on, but the color/display to fade. Replacing the display didn't help at all, and I'm not shipping it to Canon, as there's this Sony I've been planning to buy.

Can anyone please help me with this?

-Josh

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@jfashe wrote:

Replacing the display didn't help at all, and I'm not shipping it to Canon, as there's this Sony I've been planning to buy.

Can anyone please help me with this?

-Josh

Sorry to hear that your repair efforts did not bear fruit.  How do you know that your spare part was actually fully functional?

If you cannot repair it, then Canon might be able to repair it.  No one can troubleshoot your electronics via social media, so do not hold high hopes for a solution.  Canon does have an upgrade program for owners of dead cameras that are no longer on their list of serviceable products.

Your threat to jump ship to Sony is laughable.  Go for it.  Sony cameras are not the land of milk and honey that many people believe it is.  Canon has the better lenses, the better AF system, and offers the best service for getting your gear repaired.  Sony cameras are notorious for having short battery life and a tendency to overheat and shutdown.  

Sony’s most recent offerings have tried to correct the shortcomings in their products, but the issues still remain.  Case in point, if the Sony AF system is so great, then why do they keep releasing firmware upgrades over few months?  Oh, they added animal eyeball autofocusing, you say.  

I say they are tweaking an AF system that does not work very well.  The Sony eyeball tracking does not work with people who wear eyeglasses, in backlit situations, or with people who have darker skin tones.  Remember that animal eyeball firmware updates?  Yeah, it was to correct those issues.  

But Sony has 4K video!!!  Has anyone told you that when you use 4K video mode that the displays dim by half?  They are trying to save power and extend battery life.  Every manufacturer that offers 4K video does so by compromising performance in one or more ways.  Everyone.  Canon has been criticized for being slow to offer 4K, but I would bet reconciling where to cut corners and make compromises is one reason why.

Oh, yeah.  Did I mention that native Sony lenses are not very good?  Or that eyeball AF system does not work well with some 3rd party lenses?  If you want to buy a Sony ... go for it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You did make sure that the eypiece is not covering the sensor that turns off the LCD when you put the camera up to your eye, right?

@kvbarkley wrote:

You did make sure that the eypiece is not covering the sensor that turns off the LCD when you put the camera up to your eye, right?

He’s right.  I forgot to mention that you should check that the big rubber eyepiece is fully seated.  It lifts off, so press it down.

If you are in need of a new camera, I highly recommend the 80D.  But, call Canon about your current camera if reseating the eyepiece does not correct the blank screen.

The 80D has Dual Pixel AF, which means it can track and auto focus in video mode.  It is hands down the best video AF traciking system in consumer cameras.  It also has the articulating screen like your 750D, which is crucial for vlogging.

@kvbarkley I'm having a replacement eyepiece come tomorrow; never had it on as it was causing problems.

@Waddizzle I appreciate the effort you took to remain proffesional, but you quickly shifted to an utterly toxic approach. You can just google "Canon camera display issues" and get an endless supply of complaints, and that's just the display portion.

I'm not threatening that the Sony will replace my Canon, after all the Sony can record 4k, while simultaneously shooting high-res (36-44MP) photos, with adjustable exposure, aperture, etc. I can still use it via HDMI.

Also, not all Sony cameras are the same. I've set up two proffesional Sony camcorders in my church almost 6 years ago and they work fine even till today. I've had this Canon for about 2 1/2 years and it's been straight bs ever since. My experience with Sony is far superior to my experience with Canon.

-Josh

@jfashe wrote:

@kvbarkley I'm having a replacement eyepiece come tomorrow; never had it on as it was causing problems.

@Waddizzle I appreciate the effort you took to remain proffesional, but you quickly shifted to an utterly toxic approach. You can just google "Canon camera display issues" and get an endless supply of complaints, and that's just the display portion.

I'm not threatening that the Sony will replace my Canon, after all the Sony can record 4k, while simultaneously shooting high-res (36-44MP) photos, with adjustable exposure, aperture, etc. I can still use it via HDMI.

Also, not all Sony cameras are the same. I've set up two proffesional Sony camcorders in my church almost 6 years ago and they work fine even till today. I've had this Canon for about 2 1/2 years and it's been straight bs ever since. My experience with Sony is far superior to my experience with Canon.

-Josh

“Replacing the display didn't help at all, and I'm not shipping it to Canon, as there's this Sony I've been planning to buy.”

I was not toxic.  I spoke the truth about Sony products.  As far as your threat goes, here are your exact words.  Sounds like you have given up on Canon before you made the post.  

In other words, your post was a rant.  Good luck with your new Sony.  Google “Sony AF Issues”, “Sony over heating issues”, “Sony banding issues”. 

Astramario
Contributor

Sorry about all of the back-and-forth about Sony. All that aside, it sounds like I am having the same issue with my Rebel T6i. The camera is on, I can see through the viewfinder when the Mode is set to "On." But the moment I place the camera in Record mode, the viewfinder goes black and so does the LCD monitor. I know power is running to it because I can hear the camera reacting every time I push the shutter button.

I've tried pressing the Menu button multiple times, turning the camera on and off, clicking the Info Button, the Play button. Is there anything I can do recover, even reset, the camera to factory settings, or something like this, in order to get the LCD screen to respond?

Announcements