cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3i

brandibructeri
Apprentice

I recently tried turning on my T31 and it wouldn't power on.  I have two batteries, so I assumed both were dead and placed one to charge.  Once the charge light switched from orange (charge) to green (full), I inserted the battery back into the camera and tried again to power on.  Nothing.  I placed the second battery into the charger, and tried again, and still the camera wouldn't power on.  I took the battery out, and set it in the charger again, and it indicated that it needed to be charged again.  The second battery did the same thing.  Are the batteries simply no longer any good, or might there be something wrong with the camera?

7 REPLIES 7

ScottyP
Authority

Seems like the charger is messed up. It is unlikely both batteries could go totally dead at the same moment, one would probably last a little longer than the other.  

Also, it appears the charger has given you wrong readings, saying both batteries are full and then moments later saying both are empty.  There is no way a camera, no matter how broken, could instantly suck the whole charge out of a battery.  As stated above it is unlikely both batteries failed simultaneously. All that is left is the charger.  If the charger is giving bad info, something is probably wrong with it.  

I would try again with another charger.  if you can borrow one to make sure that is the problem it would eliminate the risk of buying an unneeded charger.

Is the charger real Canon equipment, or after market?  The batteries?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

brandibructeri
Apprentice
Thanks for your suggestion! I may be able to borrow a friends charger (she has the t5i, I believe they use the same batteries).

Both my charger and batteries are real Canon equipment.

They both use the same batteries.

As you have the friend with the same batteries, you could simultaneously see what happens using a different battery as well as the different charger.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

brandibructeri
Apprentice
I tried my friend's battery and chargers and no luck :(. Taking it to a camera repair place today (no warranty left) to see if they have any ideas and if not I will probably just have to call Canon and send it off to them for repair.

Did you ever find out what was causing this? I am having the same issues with my Rebel T5

Bab

@hannas2 wrote:

Did you ever find out what was causing this? I am having the same issues with my Rebel T5

Bab

Be sure to stick to using a full size memory card, with no adapter.  Stick to 32 GB, or less, too.  If you do not install a memory card, does it turn on? 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Both cards I tried were 64 bits, I do have a 32 I can try when I get home from work today and let you know.

Thanks,

Bab

Announcements