cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel SL1 shooting mode RESETS TO CONTINUOUS MODE!! Please Help.

osoykut
Apprentice

I have an EOS Rebel SL1
Every time I turn the camera off, the "Drive/Self-Timer" setting reverts to "Continuous".

I want single shot mode, so I have to go into the menu every time and set it to single frame mode. 
How can I set the camera to remember my last "drive/self-timer" setting?

It's very frustrating, please help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Yes, I believe that is your answer.  Looking at page 68 of the manual for that camera, Portrait Mode. At the bottom it says Continuous is the Default for that mode.  

I would suggest you transition to an "Advanced Shooting" modes like "AV"  

Walt Felix
https://linktr.ee/waltfelix

EOS 5D Mk IV, 90D, 400D

View solution in original post

When you use modes like Portrait Mode, you are accepting a set of configuration settings, so the camera is to some degree controlling you.  If you want to control the camera further, you could try to reset the drive mode to single shot and then save the configuration to the C1 mode, using that as your default setting.

However, I would suggest avoiding Portrait mode and learn about the setting you need to control the camera yourself.   

For a start, I recommend shooting in Av mode, which allows you to set the set the aperture and it will choose the shutter speed.  Initially at least, set the ISO to auto, but with a max value of around 3200 and set your shutter speed to single.

I personally prefer to use back button focus, which allows you to precisely focus on the closest eye of your subject. To learn about this see the following video from Canon Australia:
(1) Master Back-Button Focus | How to Back-Button Focus on your Canon Camera - YouTube 

Finally, I personally prefer to use single point exposure, and set that to the * button just below on the back of the camera - this allows me to lock the exposure on a tonal value that best matches the 18% light density that a sensor sees as 'normal'.

If you don't have it, download the SL1 User Guide: eos-rebelsl1-100d-im6-en.pdf (c-wss.com).  You should check the section on Setting Custom Functions on P298 and P303 for information on setting up the back buttons.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The recommendation here is that when the camera is showing strange behavior the first thing to try is a reset to factory settings and clearing all custom functions/settings.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

osoykut
Apprentice

I did the reset. Same situation. I'm using "portrait mode" btw. Dunno if in that mode it's supposed to always revert to continuous mode.

Yes, I believe that is your answer.  Looking at page 68 of the manual for that camera, Portrait Mode. At the bottom it says Continuous is the Default for that mode.  

I would suggest you transition to an "Advanced Shooting" modes like "AV"  

Walt Felix
https://linktr.ee/waltfelix

EOS 5D Mk IV, 90D, 400D

When you use modes like Portrait Mode, you are accepting a set of configuration settings, so the camera is to some degree controlling you.  If you want to control the camera further, you could try to reset the drive mode to single shot and then save the configuration to the C1 mode, using that as your default setting.

However, I would suggest avoiding Portrait mode and learn about the setting you need to control the camera yourself.   

For a start, I recommend shooting in Av mode, which allows you to set the set the aperture and it will choose the shutter speed.  Initially at least, set the ISO to auto, but with a max value of around 3200 and set your shutter speed to single.

I personally prefer to use back button focus, which allows you to precisely focus on the closest eye of your subject. To learn about this see the following video from Canon Australia:
(1) Master Back-Button Focus | How to Back-Button Focus on your Canon Camera - YouTube 

Finally, I personally prefer to use single point exposure, and set that to the * button just below on the back of the camera - this allows me to lock the exposure on a tonal value that best matches the 18% light density that a sensor sees as 'normal'.

If you don't have it, download the SL1 User Guide: eos-rebelsl1-100d-im6-en.pdf (c-wss.com).  You should check the section on Setting Custom Functions on P298 and P303 for information on setting up the back buttons.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

osoykut
Apprentice

Thank you both. This is a great forum.

Announcements