cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP as a stop gap?

ganjou
Apprentice

I currently have an EOS 250D. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with it, except for its low-light performance. I guess it was to be expected from a 550€ APS-C DSLR, but it's extremely limiting. Grain starts to appear at relatively low ISO values, focusing becomes slow and imprecise and photo/video quality degrades very quickly, even when using my Sigma 17-70mm f2.8 lens. I'm saving up to get an EOS R8 and some EF glass (RF glass is way to expensive), but I have some video projects coming up that I don't feel comfortable using my 250D for. I found a refurbished EOS RP for 690€. Besides video limitations I can get over (4K crop and stuff) it seems to be pretty solid, especially in terms of low light performance. If I were to get some EF lenses like the 50mm f1.8 and 24-70 f2.8, would the RP be a good stop gap before I can get the R8 or would it be better to just get the R8 whenever I can?

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I would save your money until you can move to the EOS R8.

If you absolutely want to have better equipment now for your video project, consider renting.  You'd still be spending money of course, but woudn't be as much as purchasing (depending of course on how long you need to item).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Follow Ricky’s advice.  The EOS R is an adequate camera for hobbyist video production.  I do not recall whether or not it is capable of 4K video, but that is a feature you may need if you wish to create content for platforms like YouTube.

Be aware that not every lens that has ever been made for the EF mount if fully compatible with camera bodies that use Canon’s relatively new Dual Pixel AF image sensor.  This is especially true for the video modes.

The DPAF sensors were specifically developed for use in hybrid cameras capable of capturing stills and short video clips up to 30 minutes in length.  Not every EF mount lens is fully compatible with features like Movie Servo AF, including most of Canon’s own EF lens lineup.

The Dual Pixel AF image sensor was introduced around 2009.  For the most part, only Canon EF and EF-S lenses released after 2009 are fully compatible with all the features available from DPAF sensors.  Please note, that this would include most third party lenses including your Sigma.

The Canon EF-S zoom lenses with STM motors were specifically designed to take full advantage of DPAF image sensor technology when it comes to shooting video, but not the STM prime lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements