cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP Shutter speed issue

MarcyB
Contributor

I have an EOS RP that I bought in November 2019. It has been great but all of a sudden, there is a strange issue. No matter what shutter speed I choose, it sounds like the shutter speed does not change when I'm taking photos. In Lightroom, the shutter speed indicates what I've set, 1/500, 1/80, etc. But when I take the photo, the sound does not change. The faster speed photos do not look any sharper in Lightroom, I don't think. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on? Is there something that could be stuck? If so, can I fix it or should I take it to be fixed? I'm at a loss as to what this might be and what to do about it. Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you using mechanical or electronic shutter?  But the sound wouldn't matter as long as the shutter can be set to multiple values?

On a sunny day, set your camera to manual mode.  Then, set the following: aperture to f/16, ISO to 100 and shutter to 1/100.  That should result in a decent exposure.  Then, change shutter to 1/200, 1/400, 1/800.  The captured images should now be darker and darker as compared to the first one.    Then, change shutter to 1/50, 1/25, 1/10 and those images should now be lighter as compared to the first one.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I do not know if the shutter is mechanical or electronic. The manual does not say. All I know is that up until today, if the shutter speed increased, the time it took to take the photo decreased - which is the sound I'm talking about.

I did what you suggested and there is a difference in the lightness and darkness of the different shutter speeds. That is a good thing.

I think I figured out at least part of the problem. I was shooting on burst mode. When I switched to high speed burst mode, it increased. I'm going to go and reshoot what I did this morning and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks so much for your help.

You can switch between Mechanical, Full Electronic & Electronic First Curtain in the creative zone (M, Av, Tv & P) modes. So check if the camera is set to one of those modes.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements