cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 Unhappy With Photo Quality

Sabrena00
Contributor

Purchased the canon R7 and I don’t know if I’m happy with the quality of the photos. Tonight my friend and I took the same photos, she used an iPhone and her photos were 100% better than the R7. Am I doing something wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

My first thought is what subjects are you trying to photograph and what are you trying to produce?   For a lot of social photography, I think that a cell phone is eminently appropriate for producing images for digital publication and smaller prints. Cell phones inherently have less effective sensors, simply because of their size, but they overcome this with highly-capable firmware and software that can work miracles on the resultant images.

However, for other types of photography and output, a cell phone is not suitable.  For anything requiring a long focal length for example: sports and wildlife photography, a large sensor and good optic will produce much better results, especially if one is wanting to output larger files for display or printing.

So, you may be better to use a cell phone or you may not be realizing the potential from your camera - they take a lot more getting used to compared to cell phones that do most of the thinking for you.  Understanding the physics of photography, and how to use a dedicated camera takes time and practice.  The famous photographer Henri Cartier-Bressan said "your first 10,000 images are your worst", there is some truth in that in that you have to put your time in and get to know your gear.   

The potential is greater and so is the learning curve.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

It would be best to learn the features and controls of your camera first. Then learn the exposure triangle next. Do NOT try to learn it all at once by using Manual Mode. Start off with one of the semi automatic modes first. Such as using Av (Aperture Priority) or Tv (Time Value or Shutter Priority). To see how the camera makes the correct exposure for the shutter speed or aperture chosen by you. I would also follow along in the video to see if you can get a correct exposure.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

The principles are universal.  Photography encompasses both technical and artistic components, that's what makes it a great activity: it uses left and right brain.

Sabrena, there are several options for you:
* See if the local community college has courses on photography.
* check with your local library on-line catalogue and see if they have an item for Linked Learning.  If so, it gives you free access to (an otherwise pay) account full of professional educational courses on a wide variety of photography topics.  From first principles to advanced topics.   You need your library ID to log on and go via the library site.
* Join a local photographic society and ask for help from the members you meet. Usually, they will be very happy to help.

For a free, general-purpose intro to photography with a dedicated camera, see this video by Nat Geo photographer Chris Bray:

For specific training on using the R7 check out this video by Michael Maven: 
and 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Sabrena00,

All that is well and good and I don't say to not avail yourself to all the info on the ole inner web but I see new folks get mostly even more confused and frustrated by it. Next off they start to over think simple situations. The very best solution is to take a course at your local community college or perhaps a local camera shop has lessons. Photography clubs in the area or like I used to teach DSLR 101 classes put on by the city Park and Recs in the summertime.

The bottom line here is how do you want to use the photos. It is more about that than it is how to use the new R7  camera. If you reread my first reply I think that point may well be heeded. Use what works. Use what gets the job done. When the iphone works best use it. Wen the R7 works best use it. You do need to d/l the free from Canon photo editor called DPP4. You do need to spend some time learning how it works. Your iphone makes snapshots. Snapshots and selfies with silly poses are what they are and they don't require editing. You either look at them on your iphone or u/l to social media. However if you want something like this, you need a real camera like your R7.

wedding.jpg

You can make a nice print or you can put it on social media too.

Try this one with an iphone

heron.jpg

When the iphone works best use it. Wen the R7 works best use it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

There are several aspects to improving your photography:
1. General principles of the control of a camera to get the correct exposure, but also control it to achieve the desired results in terms of movement, or subject isolation.
2. The creative side, understanding the principles of composition.  For this exposure to great images from painters and photographers is a great source of learning.

Both of these may be addressed via a community college course, something Ernie and I both agree on.   More experience will come with hands-on exposure to taking photos in the company of other, experienced photographers: hence the idea of joining a camera club.

One aspect that is important to master is an understanding of your camera equipment to get the most out of it and not let the controls stand in your may of getting a great shot.  Ideally, you should be able to find a control without thinking, much as people do with the keys on a keyboard when touch-typing.  This requires two things:  a clear understanding of the features and controls of your camera, and then practice.  That is why I suggest specifically the videos on using your camera for which I provided a link - they provide a very specific type of education.  While people have different learning styles, it is generally acknowledged that a video is the next best solution to getting the introduction to your camera after a personal 1-on-1 experience.  The advantage is you can replay the videos as required.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements