cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II Tamron Lens Compatibility

Sannystac07
Contributor

Will I be able to use my Tamron 24 to 70mm EF lens with full functionality with the EOS R6 Mark ll?

13 REPLIES 13

Captainzouave
Apprentice

Of course, with an EF to R mount adapter.

Question is, what about IBIS? I use all Zeiss primes and I’d love IBIS for the longer ones, but I believe, at best, I’d get 2-axis stabilization, if at all. Still, that’s a benefit.

@Captainzouave wrote:

Of course, with an EF to R mount adapter.

Question is, what about IBIS? I use all Zeiss primes and I’d love IBIS for the longer ones, but I believe, at best, I’d get 2-axis stabilization, if at all. Still, that’s a benefit.

Greetings,

There is a lot of discussion going on about this right now.  I'm more inclined to say maybe, some or no. Some 3rd party adapted lens work ok, others, not so well.  Some work better in photo mode, and not so good in video mode.  Someone should be aware that the possibly of incompatibility exists, so they are not disappointed on "new camera day".    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Third party gear?  Most likely not.  The lens was designed for DSLRs.  Compatibility with Canon gear is the full responsibility of the third party gear manufacturer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Captainzouave
Apprentice

@Captainzouave wrote:

https://www.tamron.ca/faq/canon_eos_r/

so, yes

Wiil I be able to use my Tamron 24 to 70mm EF lens with full functionality with the EOS R6 Mark ll? “  

The OP is looking for “full functionality with the EOS R6 Mark !!.”  ”This is from your link.  It is an announcement from the year 2020 regarding only the EOS R and EOS RP cameras.

32B2331E-B03D-44A5-BBD0-3479731D352D.jpeg

You have jumped to a false conclusion.  Compatibility is still an unknown.  I doubt that any third party lens will be “fully compatible” with Canon bodies, most particularly when it comes to IBIS and autofocusing in the video modes.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend
@Captainzouave wrote:

https://www.tamron.ca/faq/canon_eos_r/

so, yes

@captainzouve,

This is exactly what we were referring to..  Lens is on the list you referenced, but is not functioning as expected with a newer R body:

Compatibility Issues with Tamron 150-600 G2 with R... - Canon Community

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The OP is asking about a Tamron 24-70mm, but did not nail down the exact model.

Captainzouave
Apprentice

Which functions exactly aren't working right? I played with a couple of the SP lenses a few years, and purchased a dock for updates. Maybe the Tamron forum is where to ask. Both 24-70 lenses are listed and neither needed a firmware update. Aside from lens exif, aperture control, and AF, what's left? What new feature requires added lens functionality and connectivity? I'm either blown away or disgusted by the thought that Canon changed communication in the R mount since inception 4 years ago, and changed within the 2 years since the Tamron info I found was published. 

I've got an EOS-converted Contax Zeiss 24-85 since 2009 and everything, including AF, works like a native EOS on a 5D2-4. Now I use that lens on an R and R5, with a Canon adapter, and its still perfect. All my other experience is with manual focus lenses since only babies use AF. 

I'm out; no need to correct anything here. 

I think not.  The OP has asked specifically about the just released R6 Mark II.

Canon has just released firmware updates for several RF lenses to specifically address compatibility issues the R6 Mark iI.

Like I said above, the question of compatibility is an unknown.  I never said they were incompatible.  You have jumped to false conclusions based upon old data.

Announcements