cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Main Control Ring Malfunctioning

ABF2
Apprentice

I shoot in Manual mode exclusively. I use the Main Control Ring (behind the shutter button) to control my shutter speed. Recently it has started to malfunction. When I try to increase my shutter speed, it sometimes does nothing, sometimes it decreases the shutter speed, and sometimes it does what it is supposed to do. 

Perhaps it is getting worn out from so much use. Hopefully, there is a fix that won't involve sending it in for repair.

I have one RF lens that I mainly use, so I use the control ring on the lens to adjust ISO and reassigned another dial for my shutter speed. 

9 REPLIES 9

Arthur

Hello!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know more information.

What is the exact camera model are you using?

Do you see any error messages?

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.

If you're in the United States, and this is an urgent support need, please click HERE to visit your My Canon Account to discover your personalized support options.

If you're outside the USA, please click HERE to find support options in your country.

Thanks and have a great day!

What is the exact camera model are you using?

Canon R6

Do you see any error messages?

No.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We don't know what camera you have, but it sounds like it needs to go to Canon for repair.

normadel
Authority
Authority

What model camera is it?

There's a fix for this that worked on my EOS 50D. Don't know what other models it might apply to. The rubber "tire" on the Main Dial was slipping, resulting in erratic function or no function. The fix was to very carefully apply a few drops of glue between the tire and the "wheel". Restored the Main Dial to full function ever since.

This saved me from replacing the shutter button/Main Dial assembly, which in my research was looked to be the fix. I almost trashed a perfectly good 50D until I found the fix.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I suggest you send the camera to Canon for inspection and repair.  Glue + camera is not a recipe for success.  😲

Let Canon resolve the issue for you.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Sparingly-applied glue certainly CAN be a recipe for success. It was in the 50D case. Don't be such a denier.

deanroker
Apprentice

I guess you might have had it repaired by now. But I had exactly the same issue and came across this post. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4565658 I used used a small screwdriver to slide a lens cleaning wipe a little way down the side of the control wheel and then turned it. I did this 2 or 3 times and the problem has gone away.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Happy holidays,

Last post to this thread was over a year ago.  Nice of you to share.  The OP's issue was with his Main Dial. While camera controls are built to last, they can be irreparably damaged wedging cloths, toothpicks, fine tipped screwdrivers, cleaning liquids (even biodegradable ones) or glue 😲 as a means to restore function or repair items.

Great if these work, but I really can't recommend them as a viable alternative for Canon service or repair.  We see hundreds of posts like these and the truth is, the majority do not have happy endings like yours.  So I'm glad you had a positive outcome.  Canon cameras have a 1 yr warranty and they do stand behind their products.  CarePaks are another way to help protect your investment from loss of function or accidents.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

normadel
Authority
Authority

To each his own. 

Announcements