cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-R50 Button Assignment for AE Lock/FE Lock

japierce
Apprentice

I'm one who loves back button focus (BBF). I want to use this feature on the EOS-R50 (backpacking). While I can assign the focus search to the “*” button and remove the focus search from the main shutter button, there does not appear to be any way to reassign AE Lock and FE lock to any other button. I would like to assign AE Lock and FE lock function to the button below the “*” button or even the ISO button. Can the AE Lock/FE Lock be assigned anywhere else? Can the Focus Search be assigned anywhere but the shutter button or the "*" button?

1 REPLY 1

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Yes, I love BBF too, but the R50 is limited in its control customization. Essentially, the only options are as outlined in the manual on p729 of the User Manual: c011.pdf (start.canon)

The R50 has a more spartan control layout compared to the R10, for example:

Tronhard_2-1720222674430.png

So the availability of controls to support BBF and BB exposure lock is one of the things I always check when considering which model to purchase.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements