cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Mark II alternatives

Lembeckstudios
Apprentice

I have been waiting to replace my bodies with the R5 Mark2, but they are not available. Canon cannot even confirm what the backlog looks like. The question I have is, do I buy “known bad” R5’s and R5C’s, only to replace them when the Mark 2 ships with certainty? OR, use this as an opportunity to switch brands. Some companies have similar features, but more realistic pricing, plus they are readily available. 
Canon really let their customer base down with this rollout. How long did we look at those teaser Aug 20th ads?

canon really lost credibility on this especially since they initially stated the reason for the long delay was to ENDURE that sufficient product would be available. It wasn’t, they lied and I have a hard time investing in equipment from an unreliable manufacturer. 

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'll start by welcoming you to the community.  Then, if I may, I think you have some serious misconceptions about the R5 and R5 C. Both are exceptional, high performing body's.  Why don't you tell us a little more about the type of photography you like to do most?

Regardless of the manufacturer, if you think any one camera or body is perfect, I have some bad news for you. There is always going to be something you or someone else wanted, believed the camera should have or could have done, etc.

Not trying to be harsh here, but the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence.  Canon is hardly "unreliable".  If you want a R5II, please order one.  Talking about it isn't going to get one in your hands. 😉

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I shoot in the desert and extreme heat is a constant issue. The current R5’s are known to be weak in that area, so it makes no sense in investing in something that is currently being addressed in the new unit. 
I understand there will always be compromises, but I’m shocked at how they can let their customers down. I have used them for over 45 years and have always been content with their growth and upgrades. 
Canon even was offering $500 discounts on the original R5’s to move them, but they removed that incentive once they found themselves short on delivery. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I shoot in the desert and extreme heat is a constant issue."

Sounds like you would be better served by an R3 or the new R1. However again the R1 is in short supply. You've got to keep in mind Canon can only make things as fast as they can make them. The demand is huge especially because of the Olympics. Canon is a for profit organization so you can't blame for wanting to make money. In fact if they didn't they wouldn't exist.

I used to shoot in the desert area around Four Corners and my 1 series never failed. Yes, I realize that isn't horrible desert conditions but felt plenty hot dry and dusty to me at the time.

"...they lied and I have a hard time investing in equipment from an unreliable manufacturer."

Come on now, we both know none of that is not true. It is difficult to estimate consumer demand and materials acquisition especially in the times we currently find ourselves. You do your market research and make the best of it. Don't' ever think this doesn't affect all companies  as it does. Things will settle down and you will get the camera 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I was leaning towards the R3, but I was able to successfully source two R5 Mark 2’s in stock. 
I still won’t believe it until it’s in my hands. 

March411
Rising Star

I can't argue that Canons current business practices are not a huge disappointment! Their forecasting (absolutely the worst), demand planning, material acquisition and logistics are a mess. They are lucky they have a loyal and dedicated customer base. I'm still waiting on my RF 200-800mm, it was launched in Nov of 2023.. 

I can say with a high degree of certainty that your question "The question I have is, do I buy “known bad” R5’s and R5C’s" is highly inaccurate statement. My R5 has been through many extremes including high heat and excessive moisture and has continued to perform without failure. At launch it had some challenges that firmware updates resolved. If you do the research you will find that over the past several years the customer satisfaction ratings are pretty good.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery
Announcements