cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Eye Detect does not work with self timer

Johngiat56
Apprentice

I want to take a self portrait but the R5 will not focus with the 10 second timer.

The settings: Timer 10 seconds. People. Eye Detect. One shot mode.

I even tried "Continuous Focus" thinking that might work, but no success.

Any suggestions re my settings - or is it normal, as I am reading elsewhere that the camera truly will not focus when the 10 second timer is used?

John

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have never tried or tested it, but it seems like the shutter delay timer locks both exposure and focus when it is initiated.  This is similar to how One Shot AF mode works when the shutter delay timer has not been enabled.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

If you want to take a self portrait with the camera using eye detect, then I suggest using a cable or electronic remote device.   The self timer trips the shutter but does not cause the camera to autodetect eyes.  So to do so, you need to have focus enabled for the shutter button, half press the remote to get focus and then fully press to take the shot.
Alternatively, do it the old school way.  Manually pre-focus the camera on a proxy object where your face will be with sufficient DoF to cover your whole face.  Use the 10sec timer to activate the camera and during that time switch places with the proxy device.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

tai-stik
Apprentice

Is there a ticket to address this issue at some point? It seems like it should be a pretty easy fix, and given Canon's reputation as a front runner in photography, I would expect them to soon.

@tai-stik wrote:

Is there a ticket to address this issue at some point? It seems like it should be a pretty easy fix, and given Canon's reputation as a front runner in photography, I would expect them to soon.

It is not an issue.  It is how cameras work.  They do not refocus during shutter delay mode.  

If you still disagree and feel that there is a need to escalate and bring this topic to Canon’s attention, then I suggest that you setup a service ticket for your issue.  These forums are not Canon Service or Support.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/service-and-repair 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I don't feel this is a bug either.  You can leave feedback and make a feature quest on the Canon USA website.

Select feedback, > then product

shadowsports_0-1694181853910.png

I like Trevors suggestion.  A bluetooth controller could be used for this and allow the AF to be engaged.  You could also use a mobile device and shoot tethered.😀   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

tai-stik
Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. Here are my thoughts:

- A user would like to take a self portrait, wide open, and does not have a remote cable, nor the time (or possibly internet connection) to setup with the remote app. In my case, it is for shooting a youtube thumbnail, so I am composing with a monitor on the camera or the R5's little screen.

Whether this is a bug (feature existed before etc) or new feature, I feel this is a new and growing use case that Canon should support. Thank you for the link to submit a ticket.

I am here because I thought that this should be common sense to have this enabled. I mean instead of being able to set the timer and have it track me till the shutter goes off I'm supposed to use their 1.5 start buggy app or buy a remote which over time can wear out my usb port not thanks. Yes I will submit a feature request and hope everyone has a great new year!

@dreysi wrote:

I am here because I thought that this should be common sense to have this enabled. I mean instead of being able to set the timer and have it track me till the shutter goes off I'm supposed to use their 1.5 start buggy app or buy a remote which over time can wear out my usb port not thanks. Yes I will submit a feature request and hope everyone has a great new year!

It is not a bug.  This is how cameras have worked for decades, many decades.  If you have a smart phone, then you can probably use Canon Connect with a Bluetooth connection to take photos.

The camera does not track you during the countdown phase because the AF system is idle.  No one is pressing a button to activate the AF system, even if the camera is in AF Servo mode.  

You can activate AF remotely with your smart device just as if you were operating the camera directly.  The camera is not omnipotent.  YOU must tell it where to focus.

Hey that's fair and makes sense cheers for your response. There are as you say solutions out there, the app is not as bad as it used to be, so i'll go that route, gotta give em credit for improving that. Now that I have a handle on the app connection quirks it will be easy peasy. Thanks mate and thanks to @shadowsports below for your help.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements