cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R3 Green cast in edges of the frame in low light

davidgs
Enthusiast

hello every one,

I have an EOS R3 mirrorless camera, with the 15-35 RF 2.8 and 28-70 RF 2.0, I take pictures of the night sky, it is a low light environment so I set the parameter accordingly, (F2.8, 15 sec, iso6400), when I acquired the camera the recommendation of canon was not to use the profile of the lens, I did make the change and it corrected in 50%.. I replied with that information but I didn't receive more data. couple weeks ago I went to Goblin Valley UT to picture the Milky Way there this is one of the 21 frames I took for a panoramic stich...the green edges and the low resolution in the bottomthe green edges and the low resolution in the bottom

29 REPLIES 29

Peter
Authority
Authority

Google drive (don't forget to share it), Dropbox, WeTransfer, Sprend are some filehosts to choose if you need to upload some raw samples.

White Balance could be an issue so a RAW file would an excellent sample.  When and if you do post a RAW file, try to also post a more conventional photo taken during the daylight hours on a sunny day.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The issue just happens sin low light, the pictures in daylight are just fine, I normally setup the WB to 3800-4000 range. 
I tried couple shots usin AWB and it has a similar result but the rest of the picture is brownish, as you can expected, 

I’ll upload a CR3 file later on

018A7068.jpg

Without anything applied.

018A7068_01.jpg

With a tone curve and increased brightness. No lens profile applied.

018A7068_02.jpg

With a tone curve and increased brightness. Lens profile applied.

I understand that with some post processing the issue can be minimized, but the issue for me is why on a canon flagship camera that spot appears in the frame, I have seen the Sony and Pentax ones because we have processed together and theirs it has nothing comepared to mines, theirs is clean. That’s what I’m trying to figured out.

What if you try DPP4? I tried with PureRAW and it gives a green cast hard to get rid of.

Peter, thanks for your comment, my question here is why this is happening? I been side by side with a guy with a Sony 7 IV, with the same parameters, and his pictures don't have that green color cast, is there a parameter that I should change? do you guys think it is something wrong with the body?, I appreciate all your comments and solution to try to minimize the issue, but in reality what I want you help for it is to determine what's wrong when I'm shooting in low light

thank you 

Hm, up left PureRAW with lens correction. Up right PureRAW without lens correction.
Below left darktable without lens correction.

In your first picture you got both top corners green. I get just right one in the raw file you uploaded.

Could you please upload the raw file from your first picture here also? I am asking because you have the Milky way at a different place and more to the right corner there. Also the green corners in that picture look like something from a vignetting correction.

This one you uploaded on the other hand doesn't look like something from a vignetting correction.

Skärmbild från 2023-06-29 22-01-13.png

Have you tried Long Exposure Noise Reduction turned on? What about same settings with lens cap on?

Announcements