cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R10 - Good enough to shoot northern lights?

TomBea
Contributor

Im wanting to get my partner the EOS R10 when i take her to see the northern lights.

Im hoping to get some advice to see if this camera is capabale of good photos of them?

Any advice is welcomed.

11 REPLIES 11

Were going to Kiruna in Sweden,

But she will then use the camera for trips after this holiday, Northern lights will just be the first one

Then based on the fact that you are considering further trips and that in going that far you are investing a lot in a trip you will want to fully record, that reinforces my suggestion if making the extra investment for the optics.  The RF-S 18-150 IS STM will make a great general walk-around lens on the R10, while the RF 16mm f/2.8 will be great for landscapes and also inside architectural subjects - Sweden has some great building and cityscapes and, of course some serious mountains!

As regards cards: you need to get a couple of FULL-SIZE SD cards, not the micro ones with adapters - they are not designed for cameras.  Get decent brands like Lexar, SanDisk or Prograde, maybe 64GB Class 10 ones from reputable dealers - there are lots of dodgy one for sale on line.
If you are taking a computer or tablet, you need to set it up so that you can download each day's images to it.  You then format the card clean in the camera - don't delete files.
Definitely a couple of spare LP-17B batteries (take a charger with you, they are multi-voltage) and you want a lens brush, some optical cleaning cloths and a small optical lens spray.

Some stuff to look at:
Canon R10 Tutorial Training Video Overview Users Guide Set Up - Part 1 - Made for Beginners (youtube...

Also take a copy of the Advanced User Guide with you as a PDF to refer to. c006.pdf (start.canon)

Is your partner experienced in using a dedicated camera?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements