cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R image out of focus in view finder

Rachel2
Apprentice

When I look through the view finder the photo is blurry.  It is find when I review it.  How do I correct this? Manuel is no help.

Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

Hiya, Rachel, sorry you're having this trouble.

Your EOS R camera has a tiny black thumbwheel just to the right of the top right corner of the viewfinder eyepiece. That is the dioptre adjustment, it's for adjusting the viewfinder optics to match your individual eyesight. 

If you wear spectacles, you need to decide whether you're going to look through the viewfinder while wearing your glasses, or will remove them. Some people find it difficult to see though a viewfinder eyepiece while wearing specs,but your EOS R is particularly good and I can see fine through my viewfinder with my specs on. While looking through the viewfinder, operate the autofocus (with the camera switched on, take up the first pressure on the shutter button to make the lens snap into focus) and then rotate the above mentioned thumbwheel and note that the image becomes sharper or less sharp. Turn it appropriately forwards or backwards until you have a nice sharp image.

It is possible to jog the thumbwheel accidentally, so if the image loses sharpness again, you may need to re-adjust the dioptre adjustment.

I hope this helps.

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

View solution in original post

Stephen

Check out the video HERE

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

Oops - as glimpsed in the video linked above by Stephen, I note that the dioptre adjustment thumwheel on your EOS R camera is actually lower left of your eyepiece, not as on my R6mkII and I think most other Canon cameras, upper right. Sorry about that! I hope otherwise what I've suggested proves useful.

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What camera are you using?

You probably need to adjust the diopter.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

EOS R

Where, what is the diapter?

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

Hiya, Rachel, sorry you're having this trouble.

Your EOS R camera has a tiny black thumbwheel just to the right of the top right corner of the viewfinder eyepiece. That is the dioptre adjustment, it's for adjusting the viewfinder optics to match your individual eyesight. 

If you wear spectacles, you need to decide whether you're going to look through the viewfinder while wearing your glasses, or will remove them. Some people find it difficult to see though a viewfinder eyepiece while wearing specs,but your EOS R is particularly good and I can see fine through my viewfinder with my specs on. While looking through the viewfinder, operate the autofocus (with the camera switched on, take up the first pressure on the shutter button to make the lens snap into focus) and then rotate the above mentioned thumbwheel and note that the image becomes sharper or less sharp. Turn it appropriately forwards or backwards until you have a nice sharp image.

It is possible to jog the thumbwheel accidentally, so if the image loses sharpness again, you may need to re-adjust the dioptre adjustment.

I hope this helps.

Stephen

Check out the video HERE

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

Oops - as glimpsed in the video linked above by Stephen, I note that the dioptre adjustment thumwheel on your EOS R camera is actually lower left of your eyepiece, not as on my R6mkII and I think most other Canon cameras, upper right. Sorry about that! I hope otherwise what I've suggested proves useful.

Thank you! My almost 2 year old nephew got a hold of my camera last night and we could not figure out why it was blurry in the view finder!!! The adjustment switch is actually completely underneath the viewfinder (it stick out from the camera some and there is a space on the bottom side of it). So glad the camera wasn’t broken we were all worried! Kids that age find every knob or button on anything 😂 

Announcements