cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 Video for Youtube Zoom In = Blurry

rpc9943
Apprentice

Please help? CANON EOS M50 Video on my youtube synth channel (zoom in = blurry)

Hey everyone! I have a CANON EOS M50 and I use it for my youtube synth channel... I have gotten a very small OLED screen on my gear and when I do a zoom in, it is blurry! I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on getting this to look better! I have tried a dual cam setup but the other cam I have can't even focus (ZOOM Q2N), I know , it's very low end, so that didn't work. I think I am using the regular lense that it came with, looks great until video is recorded. By then it's too late because it takes a big effort to present my content together.

I am recording in 1080p 30FPS. I do not know the other values I used, but if someone can help guide me to get more crisp end results it would really help. Been struggling a long time with these small lit up screens!

One of my friends told me maybe if iI try 60FPS it will make it clearer?

Here is the video I had issues with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUjhSl5D3Nk

I zoomed in with the zoom manual focus function and it looked so crisp, but the end video simply was bad. Any tips? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yea, dealing with 4K does require more drive space and more processing horsepower.   You can definitely export 4K to HD though.  I did that for about a year before I had a 4K TV.  So all the 4K footage I captured was injested in to Final Cut Pro.  I then exported that to HD.   Recently, re-opened those projects and re-exported to 4K.

For your specific case, for the wide shot (full resolution HD), that looks good.  But for the zoomed-in shots (at least for the very first one), that ended up only taking an area of around 750 x 420 pixels and then stretching that over a 1,920 x 1,080 area.  i.e. each individual pixel is being magnified by about 6.5 times.   Interpolation by the video encoder is doing its best to try to resolve that, but it won't be able to create enough detail from that low resolution crop.

If you go the 4K route, that same area you're cropping in to would now be 1,500 x 840 which is fairly close to full HD in the vertical, so should have your desired detail.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I noticed that during the video, you start out with a wide shot, but then often punch in to see details.    Are you using two different lenses/focal lengths? Or, are you cropping in post?   If you're doing the latter, you'd then be stretching say 30% or so of the original video's pixels over the entire frame.  That would lead to things looking fuzzy/blurred.

One thing you can do instead is to capture in 4K.   And if you then crop in to a 25% area, that area would still contain 1920 x 1080 pixels.

More complex of course is having two separate cameras where one is set to record the wide shot and one is set to record the detail shot.  Then is post, switch between the two as needed.

--
Ricky

Thank you so much for the input! I am cropping post.

I am wondering if there might be any other issues that could resolve recording it in 1080p, besides dual cam?

Does this look like its simply the 1080p resolution at fault?

Are there maybe any settings that I might have screwed up on?

If I end up doing 4k, can I render it in 1080p or would that be ridiculous?

This is because I am not sure how much room I'll have for these files, it is probably a lot bigger, and video editor crashing might happen more and render/upload time might increase in a big way. I will run some tests, I do appreciate the answer!

Yea, dealing with 4K does require more drive space and more processing horsepower.   You can definitely export 4K to HD though.  I did that for about a year before I had a 4K TV.  So all the 4K footage I captured was injested in to Final Cut Pro.  I then exported that to HD.   Recently, re-opened those projects and re-exported to 4K.

For your specific case, for the wide shot (full resolution HD), that looks good.  But for the zoomed-in shots (at least for the very first one), that ended up only taking an area of around 750 x 420 pixels and then stretching that over a 1,920 x 1,080 area.  i.e. each individual pixel is being magnified by about 6.5 times.   Interpolation by the video encoder is doing its best to try to resolve that, but it won't be able to create enough detail from that low resolution crop.

If you go the 4K route, that same area you're cropping in to would now be 1,500 x 840 which is fairly close to full HD in the vertical, so should have your desired detail.

--
Ricky

Thank you so much this has helped me so much. I will just have to bear the struggle with 4K and I am going to most likely just render to 1080p. I use vegas pro, hopefully it won't be absurd rendering as it downscales.... We will see after work today!

Announcements