cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 Mark II Lens compatibility

Terry_B
Contributor

Hello…I realize that this may seem a rudimentary question but I am interested in purchasing a super telephoto lens for my Canon EOS M50 Mark II camera for nature and wildlife photography. As evident by my posting this question, I am not a professional and as much as I would like to own one, I don’t want to spend $12K on a lens. I saw some 600mm lenses that are recommended for a cost of around $1,000.00-$1,500.00 but I don’t know if they fit on my camera. I am looking for recommendations. Thank you in advance!

8 REPLIES 8

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Your camera natively mounts EF-M lenses. In order to use EF or EF-S lenses you must use a mount adapter. RF lenses are NOT compatible with your camera. I provided a list of compatible lenses below.

Camera TypeEF Full Frame DSLR (Red Circle Mounting Index)*5 EF-S APS-C DSLR  (White Square Mounting Index)RF Full Frame Mirrorless (Red Oval Mounting Index)*4 RF-S (APS-C) Mirrorless  
Full Frame DSLR & EOS Film SLR ie 5D, 6D & 1D seriesYesNo NoNo
*5 APS-C DSLR Rebel/ XXXD/ XXXXD series & XXD seriesYesYesNoNo
EOS R Series Full Frame ie R6, R5, R8, Yes *1Yes *1 *3YesYes *3
*4 EOS R Series APS-C ie R7, R10, R50 & R100Yes *1Yes*1YesYes

*Natively Mounts No mount adapter needed

* Not compatible won't mount at all, Can't be adapted at all not possible

*1 Compatible with a Mount Adapter 

*3 Image sensor capacity reduced by 2.5x (APS-C lens 1.6x crop)

*4 Note RF-S is NOT a separate mount. Instead its an RF Mount lens with an APS-C Image Circle. "-S" means small image circle meaning smaller than FF or 35mm film.

*5 Note EF-S IS A Separate DSLR crop sensor ONLY Mount. Note early APS-C cameras MUST USE Full Frame EF lenses. These cameras are the EOS D30, EOS D60 and EOS 10D. DO NOT confuse these cameras with the EOS 30D and EOS 60D.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thank you SO much for the quick reply and the table, it was very useful! 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Terry_B,

Your camera will accept the following lenses: EF-M and EF / EF-S with an EF-M to EF adapter.  RF lenses are not compatible with your body.  

Do you have a budget?

An EF (full frame) lens is probably the best option.  Sigma and Tamron both make 150-600mm lenses that are very popular for wildlife photography.  They can be had used for about $760 and new for $1100 - $1300.  These two lenses are very popular for wildlife and pair well with bodys that have an APS-C sensor.

Sigma and Tamron also have some lower cost alternatives, but these lenses will not be as well suited for wildlife.

Canon has a few lenses also, but they are double the price of the above starting and don't have the same reach.  

If you provide a budget we can make final recommendations.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Shadow! 

‘Thank you SO much for the quick reply! I am looking around $1,000.00 to $1,500.00. I saw that the Tamron 150-600mm was recommended. 

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I have the Sigma 150-600mm lens for my EOS Rebel 1500D T7. I'm happy with it for nature, landscape, etc. I got it at B&H Video and Photo.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Thank you SO much for the quick reply and recommendation!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Terry_B,

The EF-M to EF adapter is available refurb from Canon.  Great price.

Shop Canon Refurbished Mount Adapter EF-EOS M | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I can't thank you enough, Rick! I mean that...you've been very helpful! 

Announcements