cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 80D not focusing

michaelk2
Contributor

yesterday I was out shooting and halfway through I changed my focus points and when i went to start shooting again the camera wouldn't focus on anything. and sometimes wont even take a picture. 

I have look at a bunch of different videos trying stuff but nothing has worked. 

18 REPLIES 18

@michaelk2 wrote:

the camera will not shoot in either view. but if I go into the custom function and switch the setting for the half pressed shutter button to metering start it will shoot. but if it set to autofocus and metering then it will not. 

You said you reset the camera, but it looks like you didn't also clear all custom functions.

I suggest you do that.

Your original post states that you were taking images and all worked well. You changed focus points and it stopped focusing. Was that a matter of a few minutes?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

when I reset the camera I also cleared the custom function settings. 

when I was out shooting I took a picture changed the focus points then tried to take a picture again but then it wasn't focusing. so in the time it took me to select a new point it stopped focusing. 

Since you reset the camera back to factory default. Will the camera take a picture in Full Auto (A+ Mode). Also what are your shooting conditions ie the lighting and contrast.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

with it in full auto it sometimes takes a picture and other times it doesn't. right now I am in my house with a lights set up but on the day it stopped it was a bright and sunny day and I was outside. 

It can be bright and sunny but if the subject lacks contrast. The camera won't lock focus and won't take a picture.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

@michaelk2 wrote:

when I reset the camera I also cleared the custom function settings. 

when I was out shooting I took a picture changed the focus points then tried to take a picture again but then it wasn't focusing. so in the time it took me to select a new point it stopped focusing. 

Since the time between working an not seems like it was minutes it is likely the problem is camera related. Just shot gunning here since you've tried everything else.

Remove battery and SD card from camera. Power on and cycle the shutter button a few times.

Reinstall battery and card and try again.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

that did not work. at this point I think I'm going to take it in and get looked at. I think someone who knows what they are doing with there hands on it would have to best chance. 

@michaelk2 wrote:

that did not work. at this point I think I'm going to take it in and get looked at. I think someone who knows what they are doing with there hands on it would have to best chance. 

Agree.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Will the lens focus in live view mode. Ie (using the rear LCD screen to compose and take a shot). If it works there's a problem with the dedicated viewfinder AF system.

-Demetrius

Announcements