cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D Mark II not focusing with Tamron and Tokina lenses

afenton
Contributor

Canon 7D MK2

Two holidays last year were 'ruined' by the results of my photos.

Used centre-weighted setting but with a couple of lenses the camera was obviously struggling to focus; one was a Tamron 70-20 and the other a Tokina AT-X 28-70. I've had Tamron check for faults with an inspection and test - they found no fault. I took some photos where the focus point in the viewfinder was just a single square in the centre; I think that these photos are the ones that were pretty awful, with no focus to speak of.

Any advice?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I can testify that the Tamron 70-200mm zoom doesn't just work OK but does a beautiful job on a 7 series camera. I used one, actually two of them, for years and the combo made me a lot of money. Focus issues and misfocus are almost always caused by the user and not the camera/lens combo. The first thing I would do is reset you 7D2 back to factory default6. The second thing I would is is make sure you are using One Shot and not Ai-servo which it sounds like you are. Ai-servo causes way more problems then it solves.

I, too, think you might be confusing metering with focusing at least in terms.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Since all this started, I feel like I'm going back to basics - which I suppose I am, somewhat.

Thanks for the link. I watched the other three and will watch yours too.

Andrew

... and again, thanks for the help.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Here is very brief overview of the 7D Mark II camera body.  He briefly discusses metering.  The entire runtime of the video is about 31 minutes.  Most of his videos of this are about 90 minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements