cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 70D display screen not working because of humidity - Canon cutomer service totally unhelpful

vkontra
Apprentice

Hi!

I have purchased an EOS 70D last October. Everything was working perfectly until I took it to the Caribbean, where on the second day the display screen stopped working. I could still take photos, but nothing was shown on the screen. I currently live in Canada. I took the camera to the store, where they told me that I have to send the camera (that still has warranty on it) at my own cost to the official repair centre. After a week, i got a letter from them, saying the following:

"We have received your equipment for evaluation and repair. Upon further examination it was determined that we are unable to repair your equipment therefore

Canon has suggested a replacement product to you in exchange for your original unit at the cost detailed below. Please respond to this estimate promptly to

avoid having your equipment returned.

We will replace your equipment with a EOS 70D. The new serial number is not yet available.

Upon inspection, technician found unit is beyond repair due to moisture damage. Estimate has been adjusted to reflect replacement suggestion."

I am furious. They are offering me to buy a new camera for the same price. I called customer service and asked them to explain the letter. They said they will send me photos of the inside of the camera, where they have found mositure. I asked them to re-check it, as I didn't misuse it, I didn't drop it in the water, or anything of that kind. They said the camera must have been used in a very humid/or very cold place. Can they be serious? Is that really my fault? I mean, I bought the camera to be able to take pictures anywhere I go. I didn't do anything extra to it or with it. I will take this as far as I can, I just don't find this a normal response. Any suggestions??? Anyone had the same problem before?

19 REPLIES 19

Djinn
Apprentice
I've been out shooting with my eos70d in the 40C + heat of outback Australia and had no issues but in Thailand and at lower temperatures but much higher humidity the camera has stopped working. The latest was this very afternoon in Phuket and I had the same problem out doing some street photography in Bangkok a month ago. The electronics of the camera are overly sensitive to humidity for sure and it's not heat nor misuse. Back at the hotel I placed the camera in line with the cool, dry air of the air conditioner and presto, it now works. So it is definitely something Canon needs to work on and I would have been spewing if out covering an important event.

I agree that your experience adds to a body of evidence regarding high humidity performance but if you had been ".. out covering an important event." you would be equipped with one of Canon's professional cameras. Just saying...

Further to that... the camera stopped again and only started working again after a day back in in Australia and if aliens landed in the backyard a box brownie would score you the shot of the century.

I'll agree that any camera will do in a pinch; the point is that pros don't leave their jobs to chance.

BTW what's so surprising about aliens in Australia? Wallabies, kualas, and kangaroos! Oh my! Smiley Happy

Ouch! Not a good rap for Canon. lol

@Djinn wrote:
Further to that... the camera stopped again and only started working again after a day back in in Australia and if aliens landed in the backyard a box brownie would score you the shot of the century.

The proper procedure in such a case would be to try to borrow a camera from the aliens. They wouldn't be here if their equipment weren't better than yours.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi, my 70D displays white screen with some coloured lines in live view and when reviewing the pictures as well. The photos are also white. I don't know how to solve it.

Did you experienced the same?

And how did you fix it? Cool dry air next to it you say?

vkontra
Apprentice

Well...so much for North American warranty and competence. The camera was fixed for 30 dollars in Europe.

What was done to fix the camera?  I live in Florida and it get quite humid here.

Thanks, Bob

Hermie
Apprentice

I live in the Philippines and most of the pictures I want to take are while my family and I are vacationing in beaches, very near if not on a boat on the sea. Also, it is hot and humid here most of the year. So I am very sorry to read  that the 70D can go defective in my kind of environment. I really should have bought a better camera. I am sorry that I was led to believe that the EOS 70D is a good camera. I mistrakenly came to this conclusion after seeing many good reviews about it on youtube and on many photography forums here on the internet. Here, the internet is my only source of information as I am not a professional photographer and not a member of any photography group or club. I am appalled at the difficulties the OP met in having his 70D repaired. If such is the case in North America, how much more difficulty will I meet when I need it for my 70D here, in a backward country such as the Philippines? My 70D cost me a small fortune here. I regret buying it if one day it will die on me because I live in a hot and humid country.    

Announcements