cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Mk II anomalous behavior

ChrisPBacon
Enthusiast

I planned some photos in the blue hour photographing the moon near a windmill, planning it right down to what I wanted the photo to look like, where I was going to stand, what settings I wanted to start out with, etc, and when I wanted to take it; mode, exposure compensation, metering, etc.

When I triggered the shot, I got a >20 second time exposure despite having the shutter speed set at 1/125th of asecond.  I rechecked all my settings, repeated the shot and got the same results.  I've used the option to erase all settings:  got the same result.  Again, I reset all camera settings; reloaded my shutter, aperture, ISO, exposure compensation settings, retried the photo in Manual and Aperture-priority: same results.

I've gone so far as to look at every yellow, green, and orange menu, checking each option — but still get the 20+ second exposure; I've tried various lenses; different focus, white balance, metering, exposure compensation settings but can't eliminate the malfunction.

I've called Canon, retraced my steps, and haven't found a solution.

Ideas?

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.
10 REPLIES 10

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Hi Chris. I may have missed it in reading your troubleshooting steps, but what happens if you set camera to P mode, go outside mid-morning and try and take a photo?

I'll have to find out, likely early tomorrow morning when I'm out looking for clear skies with the Guadrantid meteor shower tonight and tomorrow.

I don't think I've ever taken a photo in P mode before. Guess I'll see what it does.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.
Announcements