cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Mark II Advice for Astrophotography Time Lapse

Steve_up_North
Apprentice

Hi all.

New convert to a Canon D6 MkII, after being a Sony user for many years. Anyway, I'm looking for some guidance re doing widefield astrophotography time-lapses, like Milky Way, Aurora etc. Specifically, I like to shoot a continuous series of 30 second shots, one after another, all night long, from dusk 'til dawn.

I am happy using a simple, locking, N3 cable remote switch, which I always have in the past, but for the life of me, despite reading through the user guide, and interrogating Mr. Google, I cannot figure out how to do it.

It "seems" the only option is to use Bulb setting, and an N3 connected intervalometer, which I do have on order, but I wonder if I'm missing something somewhere, as this function has been available on just about every other camera I've ever owned.

Thanks in advance for any help... feeling a bit of a numpty, but hey... if I don't ask, I never know 🙂

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve_up_North
Apprentice

Right, I think I might have sussed it... looks like my N3 cable remote switch is faulty! Takes a single shot OK, but isn't locking 😞

Told you I felt like a numpty 😉

Thanks, your reply did convince me it should be possible, and delving deeper has revealed the answer.

Steve

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you have years of experience capturing images with a Sony camera, then I don’t understand why you’re having an issue with a Canon camera.

Do it the same way.  What gear and camera settings did you use with the Sony?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It's using the Drive settings I don't understand. Continuous doesn't seem to do continuous 30 second shots. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious... I just have no idea what it is.

Steve_up_North
Apprentice

Right, I think I might have sussed it... looks like my N3 cable remote switch is faulty! Takes a single shot OK, but isn't locking 😞

Told you I felt like a numpty 😉

Thanks, your reply did convince me it should be possible, and delving deeper has revealed the answer.

Steve

Announcements