cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 600D loses connection in live view

Puko
Contributor

Hi, I have a Canon 600D. My problem is that my camera loses connection when I go to Live View. My camera is connected to the computer via USB and powered using an AC Adapter.

I have seen various posts here and some solutions that worked for them. Some are:

• Making sure the computer and AC Adapter are not plugged in the same outlet.
  • Connecting the USB to the computer's mainport.
  • Modifying the USB pin to remove power to make it "data-only" and not supply power to the camera.

But none are working for me. The 3rd solutions seems promising as my camera 'loses' power when it tries to go in Live View.

Hope someone can help me. Thanks 🙂 

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What software are you using that "loses connection"?

Before, I was testing the connection out using EOS Utility 2. I also use my photobooth software called DSLRBooth. Whenever I go to Live View on both apps, the camera would suddenly disconnect.

Does it happen with a fresh battery? The sudden current draw might be too much for the AC adapter.

The connection is fine when using a regular battery pack. In addition, I tried the AC Adapter and USB setup on my laptop and it is working fine. The problem persists on my desktop computer.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If it works on battery power, but not on the AC adapter, then I would suspect the adapter is the problem.  Are you using a Canon battery eliminator and AC/DC converter?

Most of posts that I have replied to the user is not using a Canon battery eliminator.  They are almost always using a cheap AC adapter, instead. Those tend to have problems ranging from ground loops to insufficient power output.

Users that build their own systems from a motherboard tend to have USB issues, too. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am using an AC adapter that plugs to 220V. Can you show me a photo of a battery eliminator? I can't seem to find a reference photo on the internet.

As an additional info, I am using a computer system built by my supplier for a photobooth system. They tested it using the same model of my camera and they had no problem with any connection. 

I tried the 'USB Mod' that I saw on one of the threads you replied to but I don't know how he made it work. The mod makes you cover with tape the 5V+ pin on the USB to remove incoming power to the camera. However, based from what I read, the 5V+ pin is needed for the connection to be recognized by the computer. So, now I don't know how he made it work for him.

It sounds like you are outside the US, so I do not have a link that I can provide for you.  Your camera is an older model from 2011.  Your camera needs the ACk-E10 AC Adapter kit, which I am uncertain if it is still available.

You should consult your computer supplier regarding this issue.  It seems you have problems with your power adapter and possibly the USB ports on the computer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your inputs. 

Announcements