cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark IV New Lens for Landscape / Travel

MichaVandiver88
Contributor

Hi, so I have been a music / entertainment photographer then a wedding and family photog but now I’m living  at my eco lodge in Costa Rica and I’m back to what I had originally wanted to do many many moons ago, nature and wildlife photography. I have my close up lens for nature but I’m looking for a landscape lens. If money wasn’t an option within reason  (can’t believe I’m finally that grown up) which lens of choice would you choose for the scenery in Costa Rica? Or any vast beautiful and lush country side? 😆 

I own an art gallery now with other artists as I also became a metalsmith during Covid but would love to capture the area of where I live and also sell my prints in my studio.

If it was one wide lens for landscape which lens would buy and why? For my 5D Mark iv 

Thanks! 

14 REPLIES 14

MichaVandiver88
Contributor

Nice!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I also did weddings, many weddings, but I am retired now. I worked for Hallmark Cards in KC for 40 years in the Graphic Arts department.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MichaVandiver88
Contributor

That’s awesome! Sounds like a good life too! 🙂

Yeah I went from Hollyweird from Texas then to the Florida Keys, by sailboat, met my hubby and stayed. I had one person ask to shoot their wedding and I was horrified. I never in a million years thought that would be my biz. Turned out I actually loved it and was great at it. I built a mini empire and then bought myself my retirement property in Costa Rica. Little did I know I was far from retiring. I now run a 4 cabin B&B, I recently opened an  art gallery and still shoot a few commercial and or family gigs on the side. Truth be told, in College in Austin, Texas I went to school for photography and the arts. I wanted to be a Nat Geo photog. I was told by my teachers that since I was a woman, that would never happen. So I switched gears, got into the film and music side of things for 15 years. Now I feel I have come full circle, able to photograph all the amazing wildlife and scenery in my own yard. I have been too busy at times to double check my equipment and so this is why I came here to post. Lesson learned for sure! Thanks for all your advice and help. I am always up to learning more. - Michaelynn 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I wanted to be a Nat Geo photog."

I got to meet some NatGeo photographers as they would stop by Hallmark on occasion. And, you are correct, they were all men!

Shame too as my niece has taken up the business and she is way good. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Well, I am very envious of your new business in Costa Rica - what an amazing country from all the material I have seen.  Do you live on the west or east side of the main divide?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements