Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark II Black shadow on each image

lukasz3344
Contributor

IMG_0500.jpeg

IMG_0499.jpeg

Can you tell me what’s wrong with my camera ?
The bottom is dark, when I turn it vertical also black bottom yesterday was working nice, shots 29000

11 REPLIES 11

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Failing shutter? Or are you using flash with a shutter speed above your camera's sync speed such that HSS is not enabled?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

There is no flash in use, I have already set it to factory settings

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Lucas, and welcome!
Just to clarify your comment: "when I turn it vertical also black bottom"  do you mean that in portrait mode the black area is now on the base along the narrow side of the image, or is still sitting along the long side of the image in the same area as before, please?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

 The black bottom that we see is on the right like this, the display is fine 

IMG_0500.jpeg

I'm leaning towards the shutter failing.  It will be quite difficult though to see about getting your camera repaired.  Canon no longer will and even some other well-known third-party places are closing up shop (e.g. Midwest Camera Repair).   You may be looking at a new camera at this point, if indeed this is a hardware failure.

--
Ricky

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Based on what we are seeing, I agree with my colleague Ricky that it looks like a shutter issue.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

 Is this also the shutter? 

IMG_0503.jpeg

Yes.  If you have other lenses you can try, do so.  But I suspect you'll find the same issue.  Unless you can find a location to repair your camera, it's time to start looking for a new one.

--
Ricky

Okey thanks, but for what is the small mirror that claps up and down?

if I pull him with my fingers up, all looks fine 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements