cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 20D Error 99 disappears when Flash is used

Teslagirl7
Apprentice

Hello everyone. This is my first time here. I have an ancient EOS 20D, and am usually very happy with it, but lately I have had a repeat of the dreaded error 99. I had this once before and getting a new lens fixed it. However, it has now come back, and I get it all the time except when I switch to automatic and use the flash. Then there is no error and it records to the card just fine. Do you think this is likely to be the camera or the lens? I have done all the usual tricks; contacts, reformat, hard reset etc. Any help would be much appreciated as I miss my camera!!

1 REPLY 1

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Teslagirl7,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your camera. The Error 99 may occur if you use a non-Canon lens, and the camera or lens does not operate properly. You may want to try cleaning the contacts on the camera and lens especially, with a clean, dry, microfiber cloth to ensure good communication between them. I would recommend starting with that. Try cleaning the battery contacts with a clean, soft microfiber cloth. Dirty contacts could cause an issue like this. Do not use any kind of solution when trying this. You can also clean the contacts on the memory card as well with the microfiber cloth. Does the camera do the same thing with other lenses and/or memory cards? Let's try using a different lens and card.  

I've reviewed our service information and Canon no longer provides repairs for the EOS 20D unfortunately. This camera is considered 'Out of Service Life' and parts are no longer available. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. You do have the Canon Upgrade Program as an option. The Canon Upgrade Program option allows you to replace your current equipment with a new or refurbished Canon unit at a discounted price. If you would like to take part in the Canon Upgrade Program, please call our Sales Department at 1-866-443-8002 from Monday - Friday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET and they can help you with availability and pricing. 

Announcements