cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 2000D Live view shooting concerns

SadmanAsif
Apprentice

I am using EOS 2000D ( Rebel T7 ) .Is it harmful to use live view shooting in such a entry level camera? As the mechanical shutter vibrates much that camera gets a shake.

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite

It's not harmful to use live view.  It will though consume more power, so having a second battery would be advisable.

Also note that in general, shutters will only last so long.  Less expensive cameras would have lower mean-time-before-failure ratings vs more expensive models.

But, you shouldn't have to concern yourself with that unless you have had the camera for a long time and always use continuous shooting.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I am using the camera for 4 months and the shutter count is around 3000.

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

If you are getting camera shake, I suspect it's more to do with how you hold the camera. 

Unless you are shooting video - in which case you might consider a gimbal - I strongly recommend shooting via the viewfinder, as per the following images:
00 Holding a Camera.jpg   How_to_hold_a_camera.jpg

Basically, a camera is a lot heavier than a cell phone and needs a solid support, so holding the camera some distance away with just two hands, like a cell phone, is not a stable platform.  You need three points of support as close to your body as possible. That is why you tuck your arms in to your chest, and hold the camera to your eye, composing with the viewfinder - that way you get three points of support, like a tripod.

Another thing to look out for is shutter speed.  A longer focal length lens not only magnifies your subject, it magnifies your camera shake and that is further accentuates as telephoto lenses tend to be heavier the longer to focal length. To minimize camera shake, conventional wisdom says that your shutter speed should be the inverse of your lens focal length (in your camera's case) x1.6.
So if your focal length shows 18mm, the slowest shutter speed would be 1/(18 x 1.6) sec = approx. to 1/30sec. 
If you are using a 55mm focal length, your minimum speed would be 1/(55 x 1.6) = 1/80sec.
For a focal length of 250mm, the minimum s/speed is 1/400sec; and for 300mm, 1/480sec.

If you are just getting to know your camera, I suggest watching a couple of videos:
Learn Photography [Full Course] by Australian Geographic Photographer Chris Bray - YouTube  for general principles, and...
Canon T3/T5/T6 & 1100D/1200D/1300D Overview Tutorial - YouTube (your T7 is very similar), controls video.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements