cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 100D will not focus

Keith_Beef
Apprentice

Hello, I'm looking for help with a problem that has already been addressed on this forum, but the proposed solutions don't work for my case.

I recently bought a second hand EOS 100D with a Sigma DC 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 Macro HSM lens and a bunch of accessories.

Autofocus does not work properly: with any lens in autofocus, and whatever the mode (Av, Tv, P, M, etc.) the body actuates the focus motor but the focus is out. For example, focussing at infinity really focuses at around 1 metre and focussing at around 3 metres really focuses at about 35 centimetres.

I've reset all settings to the factory defaults, removed the battery and memory card and waited for five minutes before putting them back in.

I'm sure that this must be a problem in the body because lenses that work perfectly well on my other 100D body all exhibit the same problem on this body.

Is there any adjustment I can make, or will I need to send the body to a Canon service centre?

4 REPLIES 4

Arthur

Welcome to The Canon Community, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however, we need to let you know that the Canon Community is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please CLICK HERE and select your country or region for your support needs.

You're welcome to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Does it focus in live view? What other lenses have you tried?

I've tried several other EF-S and EF lenses that work fine on the body I've had for a few years but that don't focus correctly on this more recently acquired body.

But I hadn't thought of trying live view; I'll give that a try in the next few days.

Right, I set up the camera fitted with a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM on a tripod, set it looking at a lime placed on a table mat and took some pictures.

First, in "normal" operation, I tried different autofocus settings, all the images were blurred.

Next, in "live view" operation, the autofocus worked.

So at a guess, the fact that "normal" and live view uses different sets of autofocus detectors explains why the autofocus fails in one mode of operation but works in the other.

Since stating this thread, I found another one.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Help-Broken-Autofocus/m-p/368632

Announcements