cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do i sell my big EOS 60D for a compact?

smith0930
Apprentice

I currently have a canon eos 60D i got about 7 years ago. I got some good use out of it but i dont use it anymore because i dont want to lug it and its lenses around with me. I have 2 efs 18-135mm lenses (one the focus ring broke but autofocus still works) and 1 efs 55-220mm lens. I also have a battery grip and this weird viewfinder attachment so you can see in the sun. So i am thinking i can sell all this for around 500 dollars and then use that money towards a small compact that i could carry in my bag anywhere i go. I have been looking at the g7x mark iii or the g5x mark ii. Any other suggestions are welcome. Does this seem like a reasonable thing to do?

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite

You can check out KEH dot COM as one place to sell used camera gear.  They'll also be able to provide you with quotes.  Depending upon the condition of your gear and what specific lenses you have, you should be able to get to $500 or perhaps more. e.g. the nano USM version of the EF-S 18-135mm is worth more than the STM version.

In terms of the G7X III vs G5X II, they have less focal range capabilities than what you currently have. The G7 is 24-100mm and the G5 is 24-120mm.  Your current range is 18-250mm; assuming you meant to say you have an EF-S 55-250mm.

If the reduced focal length range won't be an issue for you, than either compact camera should be ok.  Though you'll have to weigh the various features of the G7X to see if they would be worth it at the cost of having less focal length range than the G5X.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would do it and I would go with the Powershot G5x Mk II over the G7x Mk III. However I seriously doubt you can get $500 bucks selling your current gear to KEH (not F). Matter of fact I doubt you can get $500 selling it anywhere especially when is is not in mint condition.

I have had several Powershot cameras over the years. They take great pictures certainly in the same or better level as your 60D and lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the correction of KEH (edited my post).  And oops, I was on the wrong part of the site.   You're correct in that selling the gear (assuming excellent condition) will only come to around $270.  Less for the lower "bargain" condition.

--
Ricky

krahe
Rising Star
Rising Star

I have a Canon M50 Mark II that is compact enough to carry practically anywhere I go - with 3 lenses. One of them is so compact I can even put the camera in a pocket with it mounted. You could keep your EF/EF-S lenses for occasions when they're worth carrying around. In fact, I just bought a refurbished EF-S 55-250mm myself.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

Certainly if the desire was to go smaller while keeping the existing lenses (which is not the case), the EOS R50 or R100 would be the way to go.

In this particular case, it's about which subcompact camera would be the better option.

--
Ricky

I wasn't trying to emphasize keeping existing lenses as much as the fact that one can have a significantly more compact camera system than the one the OP currently has without giving up the benefits of an ILC. As for R50/R100 vs. M50, if one is looking only for the kinds of lenses the OP already has, then the R50/R100 are certainly what you would want to look at. I wasn't trying to push the M50 over anything else, but merely speaking from the only experience with a camera of its type I've had.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Not that it matters but personally I would go for the Powershot G5x Mk II way more than the M50 Mk II. If "small compact" is your goal let small compact be your goal.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements