cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do SD cards pick up dust/dirt from card readers?

FilmCanister
Enthusiast

In the past, I transferred pictures from my camera via a cable. I have a new camera that didn't come with a USB cable, so I'm thinking of transferring the pictures via the SD card. I have an SD card slot in an old MacBook that is a bit dusty inside. Should I be concerned about dust/dirt from the card slot transferring to the SD card and then into my camera body? Would it be better to buy a separate card reader that hasn't been exposed to all the places my laptop has been over the years, or am I being overcautious?

3 REPLIES 3

jimhsia
Apprentice

Small amount of dust won't matter to the contacts on your SD card slot. If it really bothers you, just vacuum the slot (and any nearby ventilation holes) before plugging in your memory card.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Never use a vacuum cleaner to clean your camera.  Use an air bulb to blow out the card slot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Rose_1234
Contributor

Similar to any electronics, SD cards don’t respond well to being wet, extreme temperature changes or dirt. Keep them away from spilled coffee or tea, and don’t store your DSLR in the trunk of your hot car and then bring it into an air-conditioned room.   prepaidgiftbalance.com

Announcements