Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR Recommendations for 3D Modeling

rnurse
Contributor

Hi,

I am looking for a entry to mid level DSLR

I would like you to tell me which DSLR camera is right for my use. The camera,
lighting and microscopy equipment should offer flexible imaging and 3D modeling capabilities
for objects from ~1 cm to 4cm in size. Additional lenses should be included.

The instrument should perform a variety of functions including 1) high resolution, macro/micro
imaging, 2) 3D scanning and modeling and 3) 1080P/high speed (60fps) video in both lab and
field based settings.

Please let me know which model is right for this purpose.

27 REPLIES 27

Would a DSLR with the Macrophoto Lens 20mm f/3.5 work for Photomacrography?

rnurse, interesting question and will monitor the replies for future reference. Welcome.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Peter
Authority
Authority

A macro lens, a camera with focus stacking and software for stacking + software for photogrammetry, if this is what you want https://skfb.ly/68IJx

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@rnurse,

I believe you are starting to realize this isn't as easy as going shopping and buying an entry to mid-level body and lens.  Canon makes an excellent macro lens.  It comes in both (DSLR) EF and (Mirrorless) RF mounts.  its the EF100 f2.8 or RF100 f2.8.

While I'm confident recommending it for macro photography, it may not meet your budgetary requirements.  You still haven't given us a budget.  Its by far one of the best and sharpest L series macro lenses available.  I am quite certain it would deliver in the macro performance space. 

EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM (canon.com)

RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM (canon.com) 

Keep in mind that Canon also sells refurbished cameras and lenses.  They come with the same warranty as new gear.  If purchasing new gear that meets your needs is beyond your budget, then its possible refurbished might be the way to go.  You need to tell us this.

We cannot make good or meaningful recommendations based on, "Not too expensive, but not cheap".  We can help, but you need to give us enough information to do so.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for this great reply. The macrography will be used in by the USDA Agricutural Research Service (ARS). It should have 1080P/high speed (60fps) video as well. Please tell me a good camera and lens setup for use by the professionals at the USDA ARS. You can imaging what budget they will be comfortable with, so you with this you may let me know a solution that is best for their photomacrograpy application.

Sorry, but we cannot "imagine" what a budget would be.

I've also stated a few times now that it would be much better to have someone from the actual lab provide details about what hardware (camera) is needed.   No doubt, the lab is doing very specialized work and most likely is using specialized software and other hardware.   Such software should have recommendations on what cameras and lenses would be most suitable.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks. I will get that information

Here are further details:

The specifica�ons should include all necessary hardware/so�ware (with updates), Cannon R
camera body, Dual Flash, LWD Mitutoyo microscope objec�ves (100×, 50x, 20x, 10x), 1-5x
65mm stereoscopic lens, 70-200mm telephoto, 100mm macro and 24-105mm.
The 1-5x stereoscopic lens is best used for pinned insects, rocks, fossils, minerals, metals, plants
and slides that are smaller, but not limited to, 4 cm in size

We could only comment on some of the requirements (e.g. cannot comment on the required microscope).

While Canon did make a 65mm Macro capable of 1 to 5-times magnification, it's not a stereoscopic lens.  Was that a typo in the requirements perhaps?   If not, you'd have to research elsewhere on custom stereoscopic lenses.  Canon does make a stereoscopic lens (RF 5.2mm f/2.8L Dual Fisheye), but it's for use with the EOS R5 and EOS R5 C cameras.

Here's a list of what your list (camera and lenses) would cost.  I'll leave it as an exercise to you if you wish to purchase used/refurbished equipment would cost.   I'm also assuming you'd need a full-frame camera here? Unknown.

1. EOS R8 (minimum) $1500, or perhaps the EOS R6 II at $2500
  2. RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS at $2600
  3. RF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS at $1100
  4. RF 24-105mm f/4L IS at $1300
  5. EF 65mm f/2.8L 1-5x Macro at $1050 (Note: out-of-stock, may have to go used/refurbished)  Would also require an EF-to-RF mount adapter ($100)

Total: $7,650 to $8650.  More of course of flashes and other equipment.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Generally, steroscopic microscopes do not take stereoscopic images, but have a separate central lens for a camera port.

Announcements