cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted CR2 File from EOS 5D Mark IV

disc_count
Contributor

Completed a shoot two days ago with around 400 exposures on my 5D IV.

I was shooting in RAW + JPG mode (I always have this enabled) and I thought I was shooting to both cards like I typically do (I wasn't).

When I got home Adobe LrC gave me an error that one file wasn't imported. I tried importing again and it still didn't work. I tried using Quicklook in Finder (Mac) and that didn't work. Tried opening in Adobe Ps, same error. Tried reimporting from the card thinking maybe it wasn't copied over properly, same error. Tried one more time to import from card but copied to the desktop and named it something different. Still wouldn't open.

Luckily the JPG version was normal so I used that and edited it as best I could. But this could have been really bad if it was one of the more important shots on a more important shoot, especially since I didn't have any indication of an error until I got home and tried to import.

Any ideas why this issue happens and how to prevent this issue going forward?

Edit: realized the other card actually WAS recording and dual-write was on in 5D IV (dual-write was off in my R6 and got the cards mixed up). So the other copy on the 5D IV SD card was fine. Redundancy win!

10 REPLIES 10

Cables can fail, too. Having corruption while reading is much different than a corrupt file *written* to the card. If you read a corrupt file, it is always a good idea to try a few times with different methods, i.e., new cable, to see if it was a data transfer issue or actual bad data on the card.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements