cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon service tells me creaking body panels is ok for a Canon EOS Rebel T6s/T6I/760D/750D?

shannon76
Contributor

Hi folks.  Here's a quick video of my issue.  What are your experiences?  Any creaking?

https://youtu.be/b-Y1qinEFF0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I purchased it new in September on Ebay but it is grey/import model so I don't they wanted to assist me with it at Canon Service NJ.  I ended up opening the grip a bit by taking out the screws  on the side, bottom, and left screw above the lens mount.  I found the creaking was coming from the plastic front plate binding against the top plate.  I discovered this by pushing down on the top plate near the shutter release while squeezing the grip.  I noticed the creak went away.  So the fix was to push a bit of plastic grocery bag into the gap between the body panels.   Worked like a charm.  Just took a bit of scrap plastic to fix a bit of scrap plastic.  🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Not normal.  Is is still under warranty?  Send it back in and explain the issue.  You got hold of a dumbell.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I purchased it new in September on Ebay but it is grey/import model so I don't they wanted to assist me with it at Canon Service NJ.  I ended up opening the grip a bit by taking out the screws  on the side, bottom, and left screw above the lens mount.  I found the creaking was coming from the plastic front plate binding against the top plate.  I discovered this by pushing down on the top plate near the shutter release while squeezing the grip.  I noticed the creak went away.  So the fix was to push a bit of plastic grocery bag into the gap between the body panels.   Worked like a charm.  Just took a bit of scrap plastic to fix a bit of scrap plastic.  🙂

Did you save money buying grey market?  Usually it is not worth it.  Especially cosidering Canon's normally excellent service department.

Were you trying to get it done under warranty?  Canon USA does not cover grey market gear.  I always recommend avoiding grey market unless you are buying used. A new grey may be a better buy than a used one.  No warranty involed!

EB

shannon76
Contributor
I paid $630 for the T6s/760D (body only)compared to $750+ elsewhere. I purchased my 7D mkII USA model in Nov 2014 for $1800 and now I see them for $1100. So fool me once Canon... I would rather buy grey and purchase a 3yr square trade warranty for less than what a USA model costs. Unless your a pro photographer who needs Canon fast turn around or have money to burn, USA is over priced at product release. We will disagreee and that's ok. It comes down to the user's needs in the end. Squeaky body panels on a new camera is just sad no matter the place it was purchased. And Canon's customer service in this instance was pathetic. What was a simple fix for me to them was not fixable.

I bought my first Canon USA camera in the early '80's.  I have never looked back.  Canon USA, CPS, has been very good to me over the years.  Yes, I agree it is expensive but the best usually is.

Two roads to travel. I hope yours is as successful as mine has been.

EB
Announcements