cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T6i, replace focus screen?

rocket9244
Contributor

I seen a post about replacing the focus screen on a T6i, but its jumbled and written Very poorly. does anyone have a link to a video or understandable written directions? Thank You.

26 REPLIES 26

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON for a quote.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

rocket9244
Contributor
I paid $700 for it new. So putting another $300 in it isnt worth the price, considering they are going for around $500 now.

"I paid $700 for it new. So putting another $300 in it isnt worth the price, considering they are going for around $500 now."

What you paid for the camera originally is not relevant.    Yours is broke so that factor is done.  You can't replace it for $300 dollars today most likely, "considering they are going for around $500 now.". That makes the $300 cost reasonable.  If you choose to upgrade to a new camera the $300 can theoretically be applied to it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Honestly I was pretty sure it was called a focusing screen, but I may be wrong. It was just the common term while googling. I’m  talking about the removable (I’m assuming it’s plastic) piece that is towards the top of the camera. I’m adding a photo (not mine, I took it from the canon website) mine looks like this, but I wasn’t sure if all of the cameras used the same piece or if they are fit by model. I’ve seen a few different types when looking them up so I wasn’t sure if they did different things or were for different bodies. Thank you! shareit https://get-vidmateapk.com

rocket9244
Contributor
$10- $80

Yes, I got my T6i about 5 months ago with 2 lenses for $550. Well then for 10-80 dollars give it a shot. Hopefully, it will go well and if not you can still sell it "as-is". I think the new T7's are going for around 700 now. From the posts I have seen the focus screen is just a remove and replace operation, no mention of calibration issues.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@rocket9244 wrote:

I seen a post about replacing the focus screen on a T6i, but its jumbled and written Very poorly. does anyone have a link to a video or understandable written directions? Thank You.

I do not know where you purchased your screen, but a genuine Canon screen comes with instructions on how to change the screen, INCLUDING a special tool that you use to pick up the screen and set it down in place.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

rocket9244
Contributor
True.

Just found this video for replacing a focus screen, different model camera but it looks easy and it comes with a tool to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j_9hlzlXlU

rocket9244
Contributor
They are only like $10.00
If I put it on ebay, what should I start the bid at, $300?
I'll be basically using the money to buy a 6d, those are easy to replace if you want to lol..but, I'll treat the next camera better. I think this happened when I changed lenses at a lake, with strong winds that day. Crap flew in there and stuck to the screen.
Announcements