cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T3i Dead

inno
Contributor

So... here's my situation. I just got the t3i this week (thank you citibank points!) excited, I went ahead and played around with it. and my battery drained, but not all the way. so I go and charge the camera, battery is fully charged and I stick it back into the camera. Yay more fun! I turned off the camera and then decided i want to shoot some more and turned the camera back on. Everything is dead at this point. LCD screen stays black (I hit the disp. button at the top), I tried to turn on the flash and the flash won't pop up, can't focus with lens, etc... The only time to get the camera working again is if I were to re-seat the battery. 

What's going on?

15 REPLIES 15

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Are "citibanks" returnable? Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I'm trying to make sure I understand the situation...

I *think* you are saying that if you insert the battery and turn it on, then it works... but if you power it off and then turn it back on later, it will not work.  BUT... if you remove and re-insert the battery... it works again.

Is that correct?

Two things come to mind... 

#1  There are some micro-switches on the camera which detect if either the battery door or the memory card door is open.  If either door is open then the camera will not power up.  Check to make sure the doors "fit" and are completely closed properly.

#2  The on/off switch isn't a true power switch.  It's really just a software switch (it does not technically cut power to the camera).  When you switch the camera "off", it usually causes a self-clean cycle to run and then puts the camera into a very low power extended sleep waiting for you to turn the switch back "on" again.  

If you eject and re-insert the battery, you effectively "reboot" the camera (the on/off switch technically does not cause the camera to power on and load firmware -- it merely wakes it from it's low-power sleep state and returns it to a read-to-work state.)

Assuming you can power up the camera by re-inserting the battery... check the firmware version that you are running and let us know what version that is.

Here's a video that shows how to check the firmware (it also shows how to update the firmware -- but for now just check the firmware version and tell us what it is.  Dont' attempt to update it -- at least not yet.)

Regards,

Tim

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

I'm trying to make sure I understand the situation...

I *think* you are saying that if you insert the battery and turn it on, then it works... but if you power it off and then turn it back on later, it will not work.  BUT... if you remove and re-insert the battery... it works again.

Is that correct?

Two things come to mind... 

#1  There are some micro-switches on the camera which detect if either the battery door or the memory card door is open.  If either door is open then the camera will not power up.  Check to make sure the doors "fit" and are completely closed properly.

#2  The on/off switch isn't a true power switch.  It's really just a software switch (it does not technically cut power to the camera).  When you switch the camera "off", it usually causes a self-clean cycle to run and then puts the camera into a very low power extended sleep waiting for you to turn the switch back "on" again.  

If you eject and re-insert the battery, you effectively "reboot" the camera (the on/off switch technically does not cause the camera to power on and load firmware -- it merely wakes it from it's low-power sleep state and returns it to a read-to-work state.)

Assuming you can power up the camera by re-inserting the battery... check the firmware version that you are running and let us know what version that is.

Here's a video that shows how to check the firmware (it also shows how to update the firmware -- but for now just check the firmware version and tell us what it is.  Dont' attempt to update it -- at least not yet.)

Regards,

Tim

update on the situation: i was able to exchange it for a new one. yay! problem is still there... clearly it's me being an idiot right now haha.

yep you have that right. 

#1 all my doors are closed and fit.

#2. i'm currently on firmware v 1.0.2. according to canons website.. that is up to date?

sooo i was just messing around..

the sd card that was in my camera this whole time was a 16gb sd card firmware 1.0.2

i stick my 1gb sd card in... firmware 1.0.2. i had no issues when the 1gb sd card was in. but when i put the 16gb sd card, the camera went back to having the same issues.

Was this card previously used in a different camera?  I'm guessing it sees something on the card that it does not like.

A card should be formated specifically for the camera that will use it -- don't move a card between different types of cameras.  The first time you format it, pick the "Low Level" checkbox.

Make sure if there was anything important on that card (if it was previously used in a different camera then make sure you've copied off any pictures you want to keep).

On the T3i, pick "Menu" then navigate to the yellow "Wrench" tab #1 (there are several tabs of yellow wrenches).  The "Format" option should be on that menu.  

When you select the Format screen, there's a box to check if you'd like to do a "Low Level" format.  Press the button with the trash can icon to toggle that box on.  

Hopefully that's all it is.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

This is exactly the same thing happening in my Canon Rebel T3i. I'm still using the same 64GB SD card I purchased when I received the camera for Christmas 2011. I can't believe it could just be the SD card but I'll check it out and repost if it works.

Steve

Put a 16GB SD card in the camera and everything is back to normal.  So what caused my SD card to stop working?  What format should I format it?

Steve

thank you! everything is fixed now 😄

Tim, Steve and inno,

I am failing to see what the SD card has to do with this situation. The camera should operate as normal (except saving a picture) whether it has a SD card installed or not?  Smiley Frustrated

The firmware is not stored on the SD card. Also I don't see why that would make a difference or not either.

My son has a T3i and I will test this on his next time I see him. I am out of Rebels currently but I know this would not effect my 1 series cameras like that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements