cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel t7 issues

slimthemachine
Apprentice

so I have an eos Rebel T7 and it's plugged up with a hardwired battery pack to the wall cause I'm using it for streaming purposes in OBS. I'm connected it with the HDMI mini to HDMI and then the HDMI to a cam link that is connected to USB 3.0 port. In OBS and even the camera app on windows 10, the screen is a constant glitchy look like what my photo shows and doesn't clear. Any advice?? Switched cam links out and same issue, could the hdmi be an issue ? It's a cheap one from Amazon. Tested the set up on multiple computers so it's an issue within the camera or HDMI at this pointE6B12D04-FF08-4CC0-A553-A112E96D62A8.jpeg

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You literally using the bottom of the line, entry level DSLR camera.  Your camera does not have "clean HDMI" output.

CCDFF95E-F02D-4888-9525-F5560370E1AA.jpeg

I suggest that you upgrade your camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

slimthemachine
Apprentice
I get that but it still works. Regardless of the tier of camera, it should still give me the video clear without the glitching in the screen

@slimthemachine wrote:
I get that but it still works. Regardless of the tier of camera, it should still give me the video clear without the glitching in the screen

You mean from your non-clean HDMI camera outputting from mini HDMI > HDMI > USB and you're surprised the signal isn't stable or clear? 

We'd like it to work for you as well, but believe the advice provided is correct.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@slimthemachine wrote:

If it "works", then why are you here posting about it not working?  Don't expect $2000 camera performance from a $200 camera.  You are trying to use the camera in an unsupported mode of operation, and complaining that it does not work.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Does it work if you plug it into an HDMI monitor?

HDMI is digital so it is more binary in that it works or it doesn't. The more different cables you use to connect it adds to the degradation of the signal and makes what you have look less than optimal. You might try using a higher quality cable and make it as direct to the computer as you can. I won't say upgrade your camera because Canon sells a webcam kit that just went on sale last week and can be found on the Canon website and at multiple big-name photography equipment vendors. The fact that they sell it for specific cameras, including the T7, means that it isn't the camera, but the connection your setup has.

And if one would need to "upgrade" the camera to make for a better webcam, I wouldn't buy another Canon product, rather Nikon or Sony. If the T7 is that inferior a product, why spend more money with a manufacturer of said inferior product? I own the T7, which was given to me for my birthday by my family. I've only learned about its defects after owning it for a few months and finding what I am unable to do with it that my old EOS Rebel II 35mm camera could do 30 years ago.

Still have - AT-1, AE-1 Program, Rebel II; Kalimar K-90/1000 Pentax clone
Rebel T7 gifted to me - A reminder to *always* examine a new camera in person, not trust reviews and reviewers (Deleting the center hotshoe contact? Really?)
Fotodiox lens adaptors for Canon FD and Pentax K to EOS EF mounts.
Former film fanatic, digital by design now as I rekindle my love of photography

Hello everyone!

The Rebel T7 is specifically designed to be a no-frills, entry-level camera. It doesn't have a lot of higher-end features because its target audience usually doesn't need or want them. (Such as clean HDMI out, being able to use advanced lighting, etc.)

That being said, the issue with the HDMI out is likely a faulty cable - try a different one first - you should get a clear image regardless. You might also try connecting it to a monitor/TV to see if you get a clean image as well, then change the cable - if a new cable gives you the same results, it's time to have the camera looked at.

@Stephen wrote:

Hello everyone!

The Rebel T7 is specifically designed to be a no-frills, entry-level camera. It doesn't have a lot of higher-end features because its target audience usually doesn't need or want them. (Such as clean HDMI out, being able to use advanced lighting, etc.)

If "advanced lighting" means lacking the capability to use a flash that 99+% of other cameras can use, the T7 has a poor design. I have a Canon Speedlite that any of my cameras can use, but not the T7, because it lacks the center hotshoe pin contact. I shouldn't need to buy a $1,000 Canon camera just to use studio flash equipment. My 30-year-old Canon Rebel II film camera, just as basic as the T7, can use studio lighting setups *and* almost any Speedlite unit. Hotshoe contact pins aren't "advanced lighting" tech. What is funny is that the T7 has the option for second shutter flash sync, but it lacks a center hotshoe pin contact. As for the HDMI issue, if the T7 can't handle vlogging/webcam use, why is the competition able to do so? Granted, the R series cameras overheat when recording video, so I guess Canon can't get even design their flagship models correctly. It's not a good look for Canon. But please, by all means, tell a long-time Canon customer, photographer, and tech geek they don't know what they're talking about. Perhaps if Canon spent more time listening to their customers, they might learn something about how their products are received by the public.
Still have - AT-1, AE-1 Program, Rebel II; Kalimar K-90/1000 Pentax clone
Rebel T7 gifted to me - A reminder to *always* examine a new camera in person, not trust reviews and reviewers (Deleting the center hotshoe contact? Really?)
Fotodiox lens adaptors for Canon FD and Pentax K to EOS EF mounts.
Former film fanatic, digital by design now as I rekindle my love of photography

Unless it is an *old* speedlight, it should work on the T7.

Announcements