cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel T7i - Timestamp won't go away! I use it as streaming device via elgato as a youtuber.

DustinNemos
Contributor

I am a youtuber, I really barely understand these advanced cameras - but I love the DSLR as WEBCAM setup. But i can't get rid of this annoying 00:00 timestamp which wasn't there at first.

Any suggestions?

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@DustinNemos wrote:

I am a youtuber, I really barely understand these advanced cameras - but I love the DSLR as WEBCAM setup. But i can't get rid of this annoying 00:00 timestamp which wasn't there at first.

Any suggestions?

Try resetting the camera back to factory default settings.  It is menu selection, but look for it in a Creative mode: P, A, T, or M.

BTW, a DSLR is not a substitute for a video camera.  The current draw and heat generated by the image sensors are very different.  

A DSLR sensor is designed to grab a very high resolution image very quickly, as fast as 1/4000 of a second or even faster.  A DSLR sensor is designed to grab several images per second, usually 10 images or less.  The image sensor spends most of its' time powered down, not actively capturing images.  Continuous operation as a video camera can cause the image sensor to overheat and shut itself down.

A video camera is designed to grab a much lower resolution image, when compared to the average DSLR.  A single frame of HD video is roughy equivalent to a 2MP photo image.  However, a video camera sensor is designed for continuous operation, actively capturing images non-stop, which can generate significant heat.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

As a youtuber, I'm willing to burn through this camera in a few years if that is necessary (i haven't had overheating shutdown yet) for a bit more quality of camera. I am used to dealing with large files (always a hassle...my ISP drops me every time i upload a video to each individual site)

I've reset it to factory default in the past, i can try this again if you think it will help. I am not a camera expert by any means - if there's a better solution I am open to it, I've not had this camera very long and only recently began to get it working as intended where I could get off the logitech webcam.

Try pressing the info button.

Info doesn't seem to help, brings up a lot of options but don't seem to be related to TimeStamp

Have you tried in regular photo mode instead of movie mode?

yes, it often starts without this mode on but then i have to hit movie mode icon to get the camera to activate. until then it just says on my streamlabs OBS that i need to hit that button. 

What I am saying is that if you set the top mode to one of the photo modes, like green square or P, and then use Liveview, the counter won't show up. I think it only shows up if you have the top mode switch in movie mode.

Live Mode Screen:

Untitled.jpg

Movie Mode (Note the Record Time Counter):

Untitled.jpg

it then says card full and the timestamp remains! 

Announcements