cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel T6 overexposure and freezing issue

ASmartt1
Contributor

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? In the image below you see two consecutive photos I took using burst mode. The first photo is fine, but the second is completely overexposed. In addition, when I'm shooting like this, my camera freezes and I can no longer take photos. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

Canon Rebel T6 burst mode problem.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amfoto1
Authority

I agree with the recommendations to replace that EF 75-300mm III lens with something better... That's the cheapest telephoto zoom Canon makes. It has slow micro motor focus drive, no image stabilization and marginal image quality, especially toward the 300mm end of the zoom range.

The EF-S 55-250mm IS STM would be an excellent choice and sells for $299 new (plus $23 for the Canon ET-63 lens hood, highly recommended). Possibly less refurbished or used. This lens has faster/quieter/smoother STM (stepped motor) focus drive, helpful image stabilization and better image quality.

Alternatives are the EF 70-300mm lenses. There have been several, any of which would be a solid improvement over that 75-300mm.

EF 70-300mm IS USM "II" is the currently available model. It sells for $599 new (plus $45 for Canon lens hood ET-74B). With USM (ultrasonic) focus drive. In fact, this particular lens was one of the first to get "Nano USM", which is quiet and smooth like STM, while still being even faster. It also has IS and very good image quality. 

The original version EF 70-300mm IS USM was superseded by the "II" around 2016, but might be found used and can still be a quality lens. I didn't find any used copies with a quick search, but am sure you can find them. I don't know what they tend to cost now. This lens uses Canon lens hood ET-65B.

EF 70-300mm IS USM "L" has been discontinued, but is the only 70-300mm that can optionally  be fitted with a tripod mounting ring (sold separately). As an L-series, it's more robust and better sealed than the other lenses listed here. It is also larger and not quite double the weight of the other 70-300s. Of course, it has USM focus drive, image stabilization and very good image quality. Like most L-series telephotos it comes with a matched lens hood and is painted off-white. When it was available new, the 70-300mm L sold for around $1300. Now it's about $700 to $1000 used, depending upon condition. Separately sold Canon Tripod Ring "C" costs $169 new, but appears to be out of stock most places. Alternatives are used or 3rd party rings.

EF 70-300mm IS USM "DO" is a discontinued lens that uses "diffractive optics" to be more compact than any of the above. It is not any lighter weight, though. In fact, it's about the same as the first two 70-300s. A friend of mine used this lens quite successfully for sports photography. As you can see, it has both fast USM focus drive and helpful image stabilization. It uses the same, separately sold ET-65B as the 2nd 70-300mm above. When it was available new, this was the most expensive EF 70-300mm at about $1400. I've seen it selling used for between $400 and $600, depending upon condition. 

If you don't need all the "reach" offered by the above lenses, there also have been a number of excellent Canon EF 70-200mm lenses. There are both smaller f/4 and brighter f/2.8 versions. All are L-series and all have USM focus drive. I recommend the versions with Image Stabilization (only the oldest versions don't have IS).

If you need even more reach, there have been two versions of Canon EF 100-400mm. Both are top quality. The "II" has superb image quality and the guys at Lensrentals (who enjoy taking things apart, just because they can) called it the most robust, well-built zoom they had ever seen.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

What mode are you using on the top mode dial. What battery are you using Canon or 3rd Party. What settings are you using. Please post a picture in the forum with the metadata intact.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

I have two batteries. Issue occurs with both. Ditto no matter which mode I use.

20230622_111422.jpg

20230622_111611.jpg

Will this problem happen with another lens. Try setting the camera to Av Mode and set a small (big number) aperture. Such as F/11 or F/16 it doesn't matter the lens just needs to be stopped down. Then press the depth of field preview button to see if the lens stops down. While looking through the viewfinder. The viewfinder should significantly darken. Try this a few times. The lens may NOT always be stopping down causing overexposed pictures.

Screenshot_20230622-134038.png

Screenshot_20230622-133958.png

-Demetrius

Hi Demetrius,

I waited to respond until I had a chance to try your suggestions as well as go out for another surf photo session. It does seem to be an issue with the lens. Initially, it stops down with no problem. But then it either doesn't stop down or it completely freezes up. I can hear a clicking noise (like the normal opening/closing of the shutter) except that it doesn't completely open or close. When that happens I cannot press the shutter button at all. I also occasionally get an error message: "01 - Communication between the camera and lens is faulty."

It is not doing this with my 18-55mm lens; only with the 75-300mm. Any further suggestions as to how to troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated. I live in Galapagos, Ecuador and there are no camera shops here nor an affordable way to ship anything so sending it in for repairs is practically impossible. Thanks!

It sounds like the flex cable in the lens is failing on your 75-300mm lens. This lens is NOT Worth repairing. Depending on your budget look into the EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS STM or EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM lenses. All versions of the EF 75-300 are very poor optically. Lack Image Stabilization (IS) also USM (Ultrasonic) AF Motors. All of which 75-300mm use very old and slow Micro Motor AF motors which use gears. USM lenses don't have gears.

-Demetrius

@deebatman316 wrote:

It sounds like the flex cable in the lens is failing on your 75-300mm lens. This lens is NOT Worth repairing. Depending on your budget look into the EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS STM or EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM lenses. All versions of the EF 75-300 are very poor optically. Lack Image Stabilization (IS) also USM (Ultrasonic) AF Motors. All of which 75-300mm use very old and slow Micro Motor AF motors which use gears. USM lenses don't have gears.

@Asmartt1,

Since you already own a 18-55mm I like either of Demetrius' suggestions.  I've owned both of these lenses.  Either paired with an APS-C body are excellent.  

Benefits of the 55-250.  FL coverage from 18-250mm on your rebel.  Above average optical quality for a kit lens.  Light years better than your current 75-300.

Pros/Cons of the 70-300 USM II.  Lightweight telephoto (great for travel).  Takes excellent photos and at f5.6 and above has excellent center to corner sharpness in your photos.  Has a USM motor.  Fast and silent focus.  It does cost about double what the 55-250 does.  Choosing this lens, you will lose some FOV perspective.  It will provide a FOV equivalent to 112mm - 480mm (its intended for full frame).  

So the 55-250 picks up where your 18-55 drops off, and the 70-300 mimics the lens it will replace.  If you have been generally happy with the images the 18-55 and 75-300 the 70-300 would be a great replacement.  

**Edited my post.  Thanks Demetrius for pointing out the 75-300 is also a FF lens.  My mistake.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"So its going to provide about 180mm of reach beyond what your 75-300mm did. "

How is this possible. Both lenses are Full Frame (EF) not (EF-S) APS-C. Since the OP shoots currently with the EF 75-300mm the EF 70-300mm should be closer to what there used to. The EF 70-300mm will give them a little wider angle of view since it starts off at 70mm instead of 75mm.

-Demetrius

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have another lens to try to see if your lens is causing the issue?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

A bad lens could cause the camera to freeze up.  But so can a memory card.  What brand and capacity memory cards are you using?  Do not use micro-SD cards that need a plastic adapter.  

Only use full size SDHC cards, 32 GB or smaller, from a major manufacturer, and be sure to format them prior to first use.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements